Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/8/2024 5:23:42 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Weir Point -- Before & After
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: On Custer Topic Next Topic: More Photos from Sept 04 Archeology Survey
Page: of 5

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 03 2003 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As promised folks I finally have permission to publish the photo of Weir Point taken in 1901 by Lee Moorhouse. I also have a photo taken by Friends' member, Jim Brust in 1995. To view the before and after photos visit the Friends of the Little Bighorn Battlefield at http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/Weir_point.htm

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com
www.friendslittlebighorn.com
www.friendsnezpercebattlefields.org

Edited by - bhist on November 03 2003 6:28:46 PM

El Crab
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 03 2003 :  7:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Send El Crab an AOL message  Send El Crab a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool, thanks Bob.

I came. I saw. I took 300 pictures.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - November 03 2003 :  8:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised - it doesn't look all that different. Looks like they cut through a natural saddle.

Thanks for the pic!

Halmyers
Private

USA

Posted - November 03 2003 :  9:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Halmyers's Homepage  Send Halmyers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great pictures, really doesn't look like to much
changed. Thanks Bob

Thanks
Hal Myers

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 03 2003 :  11:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome, to all.

Weir Point is not dramatically different, but it's good to know what it looked like, exactly, at the time of the battle. Also, the 1905 photo is somewhat eerie in my opinion -- can't quite put my finger on it as to why, but it does.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

Edited by - bhist on November 03 2003 11:46:55 PM

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - November 04 2003 :  06:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
... 'cause it's much, much closer to then ... when it all happened!!

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 04 2003 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks. Remarkably cool photo. The grass down to nubs in the early photo and the clouds give it an ominous feel.

It's from a significant distance, but it still looks to me that it's fairly major change. Of the two peaks on the East/left, the one closest to the road looks more pointed and higher in the new photo, for some reason, and I'm guessing that it's a twenty odd foot drop for the road between those pictures. Can't say it affects any battle info, but it probably would have looked bigger and more massive from Reno Hill than it does now.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 04 2003 :  11:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good observation of the old photo, DC. I slightly touched it up with Photoshop (I did not alter the photo at all). I cropped it because the edges were in bad shape. There were a number of tiny black spots that I erased -- none of the enhancements I made changed what you see in the photo.

Rich and DC -- you helped me figure out why this photo strikes me with an odd feeling. As Rich stated, "... 'cause it's much, much closer to then ... when it all happened!!" -- is very true. And, DC appropriately adds to Rich’s comments, "The grass down to nubs in the early photo and the clouds give it an ominous feel."

Jim Brust's (who generously provided me his photo from 1995 of WP) hobby is collecting historical photos and he's done so much in helping us understand the changes that have taken place at LBH since the battle. He's working on a forthcoming book that I cannot wait to get my hands on. He's authoring it with Brian Pohanka and it will be a before and after photo expose on LBH. Pohanka will write the historical narrative while Brust discusses the photo shoots. I've seen many of the photos and the comparison shots are always a blast to look at.

I'm pleased that you all have benefited from Moorhouse and Brust's photos.

P.S. -- just spoke with John Doerner at LBH and it looks like winter has finally arrived at LBH. Just a week ago they were experiencing record breaking high temps in the high 80s. Today there is a blanket of snow and the snow continues to fall. For cool winter photos that John took last year click here http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/Winter%20at%20Little%20Big%20Horn.htm

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

Edited by - bhist on November 04 2003 11:59:46 AM

pgb3
Private

Posted - November 06 2003 :  4:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the photos. It is hard to tell because the angle is not the same, but it does appear that the saddle between the "sugar loaf" and the twin peaks is deeper in the new photo.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 07 2003 :  08:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And seriously, how deep a cut was it? I said it looked like about twenty feet, which I cannot defend and admit is visual guesswork. I still think it would affect the view from Reno more than from LSH not because of the proximity as much as it would look, conceivably, a whole lot more substantial. Right now, looking north from Reno, WP looks like two entirely different formations, west and east.

For whatever reason, I sense it is from THAT viewpoint that the difference might be important, because it now makes Sharpshooter Hill clearly the 'high ground' from Reno that Benteen says they went to (not WP) and watched Weir return under fire (from WP, not further) in his letter to his wife. The confusion at the Inquiry between WP and Sharpshooter created a lot of the issues upon which the charges of coverup and worse were made. If WP was more substantial, maybe Benteen WAS referring to WP.

Mumble.......

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - November 07 2003 :  11:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bhist, great comparison photos. I clicked on the site you posted for the winter pictures and couldn't find them. How do you find them?

vet777a
Sargent

Posted - November 07 2003 :  1:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bhist; Great pictures. Thanks. Its the ominus clouds above that struck me. Something one would see on a summers day in Montana back in 1876 as they would today. Its something that does not change and one could picture the troopers of Custer seeing the same thing as they rode over the bluffs.

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 07 2003 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

And seriously, how deep a cut was it? I said it looked like about twenty feet, which I cannot defend and admit is visual guesswork. I still think it would affect the view from Reno more than from LSH not because of the proximity as much as it would look, conceivably, a whole lot more substantial. Right now, looking north from Reno, WP looks like two entirely different formations, west and east.

For whatever reason, I sense it is from THAT viewpoint that the difference might be important, because it now makes Sharpshooter Hill clearly the 'high ground' from Reno that Benteen says they went to (not WP) and watched Weir return under fire (from WP, not further) in his letter to his wife. The confusion at the Inquiry between WP and Sharpshooter created a lot of the issues upon which the charges of coverup and worse were made. If WP was more substantial, maybe Benteen WAS referring to WP.

Mumble.......

Dark Cloud: I never considered what you mention here but it makes sense. It’s amazing what one can learn or theorize from viewing the terrain at LBH. And, most of us, if not all take for granted that what the battlefield looks like today is the same as 1876. I’d be very interested if others have some thoughts from DC’s observations of the WP photos.

Frank: I was making some changes to the winter photos section of the Friends’ website so it’s possible that may have affected you not being able to get in. Try going to the main page, www.friendslittlebighorn.com -- click on “Home” then click on “Winter at Little Bighorn” navigation button at the top of the home page. You should be able to get into it this way.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - November 07 2003 :  4:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bhist, I got to the winter pictures. Thanks. I'm not sure I've ever seen pics of the LBH during the winter. Looks like a whole 'nother world.

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 07 2003 :  5:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank: Winter at LBH is a different world especially when you're standing at Last Stand Hill all by yourself. There is no traffic, no huge RVs rolling by and no smell of carbon monoxide. You look down toward the visitor center and see maybe four or five cars (including yours) in the parking lot. If you're lucky, it's a brisk, cold day but blue skies all around and as you walk the trails the only sound you hear are your footsteps crunching snow. It's really the best time to see LBH. I hope the photos convey that feeling in someway. At least they are eye openers because the only photos most people see of LBH are during the summer.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - August 25 2004 :  9:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, a belated but, appreciated "thank you." The photo's are wonderful!

JasonBury
Private

Australia

Posted - August 26 2004 :  8:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very appreciative thanks from down under!.....living half a world away with the possibilty of never seeing the battle field these types of piccies are a god send......thank you again!.....you are right that first one is very eerie....

cheers

Jason

Edited by - JasonBury on August 26 2004 8:10:37 PM

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - September 01 2004 :  02:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Wiggs.

To our new Aussie member, welcome aboard. And, please visit my Little Bighorn site where you'll find tons of photos and more.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

hunkpapa7
Lieutenant

United Kingdom

Posted - November 27 2004 :  6:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did the companies stop at Weir Point? What did they see or think they were seeing at the time?
If Weir was so desperate to help and join GAC why didn't he ?

wev'e caught them napping boys
Aye Right !

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - November 28 2004 :  8:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weir was distraught when he heard the "sound of firing" emanating from Calhoun Hill. Convinced that Custer's command was engaged in heated combat, he wished to join them. Disgusted with Reno's perceived timidity, he trotted off towards destiny. His subaltern, Lt. Edgerly assumed that Weir received permission to to so and followed with Company "D".

Eventually, other units followed in the wake of Capt. Weir. Upon arriving at Weir's Point, these troopers were confronted by hundreds of whooping, empowered, and blood seeking warriors and, wisely, retreated.

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - November 29 2004 :  01:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joseph wiggs

Weir was distraught when he heard the "sound of firing" emanating from Calhoun Hill.

How do you know it came from Calhoun Hill?

quote:

Convinced that Custer's command was engaged in heated combat, he wished to join them. Disgusted with Reno's perceived timidity, he trotted off towards destiny.

How do you know Weir felt that Reno did not want to do it out of timidity? Maybe Reno lucidly believed that they weren't able to make any such maneuver as of yet. Do you have evidence that Weir perceived Reno's emotions any differently?

quote:

Eventually, other units followed in the wake of Capt. Weir. Upon arriving at Weir's Point, these troopers were confronted by hundreds of whooping, empowered, and blood seeking warriors and, wisely, retreated.

Hastily retreated, since they left behind a wounded man. "Wisely" implies more presence of mind in the decision than is suggested by the Charley incident.

R. Larsen

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - November 30 2004 :  06:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If questions such as "How do you know?" and "What's your evidence?" terrify you then you must have had a fine time in the intelligence biz. That's your alleged occupation, wasn't it?

Wiggs, do you have an answer --- for what I asked you, not Warlord?

R. Larsen

Edited by - Anonymous Poster8169 on November 30 2004 06:15:41 AM

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - November 30 2004 :  4:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have --- helping you out with Bourke, tracing the quote from Martin --- as you well know since you hysterically replied to each, and I will continue to do so. Don't fear to do the same. It's better than timorously calling me names, plus will actually accomplish something.

R. Larsen

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - November 30 2004 :  5:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's just cowardly, Warlord. If I have used citations which had no reference to the subject at hand, then you have a duty to point them out. It's the only way I can make corrections, or expose your misunderstanding --- whatever the true case may be. Grow a spine and own up to your responsibility.

R. Larsen

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - December 02 2004 :  7:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warlord

Anonymous Poster8169: I could say the same about you and your non-comprhension regarding growing a brain!

Not if you wanted to make any sense. You're better off sticking to wargames, Warlord, since you clearly can't handle the pressure of backing your words here.

R. Larsen

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - December 02 2004 :  7:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warlord

Anonymous Poster8169: I could say the same about you and your non-comprhension regarding growing a brain!

WL -- I think you should read the topic, "Decorum" very carefully.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: On Custer Topic Next Topic: More Photos from Sept 04 Archeology Survey  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03