The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/1/2024 1:46:13 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Sullivan Expedition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Question number 3. Topic Next Topic: Cook Forest French & Indian War Encampment - Day 2  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 06 2003 :  08:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knock, Knock. Hello? Knock, Knock.

Cr-r-r-e-e-e-k-k-k..... (The sound of a rusty door opening.)

Hello... Is anyone at home? May I come in, please? Seamus? Sarj. Malcolm? Many Flags?

I am curious if any of you have found the following website, that is dedicated to the Sullivan Expedition? It is www.generalsullivan.com It is pretty well done, and is a good source of information about the expedition.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 07 2003 :  01:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come in, Wilderness Woman, come in. Of course you are quite welcome here. The others are out and about somewhere, but should be returning soon. Come over here.......pull up that chair sitting there at the end of the table and warm yourself by the fire. Can I offer you something to sip? I have some very good Port in that onion bottle on the table and fresh hot coffee here in the fireplace. You can have both, if you wish. And try that cheese........I got it from the German farmer over at the Stonington Crossroads.

Yes, I have seen the website you mentioned, and yes....it is a good place for someone to begin to collect knowledge of the Sullivan Expedition, very well done, indeed, but I think it is a bit basic for the advanced student, however. I also have no doubt it will cause the firt time reader to dig further into what is available out there on that Expedition. I highly recommend it!

I have a book:
A Well-Executed Failure, The Sullivan Campaign against the Iroquois, July-September 1779, by Joseph R. Fischer.

It is a deep, scholarly treatment of this action, heavy in logistics, procurement, politics, etc., that faced Sullivan. It is well-done, I think, but it will bore the dickens out of the casual reader. Fischer is a retired US Army Colonel, I believe, who taught military history at West Point. He holds a PhD in history from Penn State. This may be his doctoral dissertation...not sure, but it reads like it.

Fairly well researched and noted, Fischer does, on at least one case, fall into the trap of relying on earlier "research" and previously written history, which so often is erroneous and is perpetuated by subsequent historians. That case is the raid into the Central Susquehanna Valley and the battle of Ft. Freeland, July 28, 1779. He refers to the Captain of the Butler's Rangers Company as "MacDonald", when his name is "McDonnell". Other than that one little gaff, I think his theory of the Campaign being a "well-executed failure" is correct. It failed to remove the Iroquois from the War.

There are other good texts on the Campaign, too. All one needs to do is search them out.

Here.....need a refill? I see out the window it is still snowing. I have had enough winter now. The woods are frozen and treacherous, not only for man, but the critters, too. One little slip, its legs splay and a deer is doomed.........fortunately the snows have not been deep enough to keep them from digging to the clover and grasses they like so much. But the little thaw last week and now the bitter cold again has made the woods a glacier.

Let me have your cup, there............

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 07 2003 :  12:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh! Seamus, there you are. Thank you kindly. I will warm my hands at your hearth, for 'tis cold out there, indeed! I believe I will try a sip of your port, thank you, for I do not believe the good Lord forbids us a swallow or two now and then, as long as it is in moderation or for medicinal purposes.

Yes, the website is a good one for students and the like who are just beginning to acquire their knowledge of the Expedition. I especially appreciate that the webmaster does attempt to put forth both sides of the conflict... the American and the Iroquois. 'Twas a sad affair for the Iroquois, was it not? And our poor lads who suffered so... imagine them marching hundreds of miles through forests and swamps, crossing rivers and streams, climbing over rocky ridges... always marching, marching. And for what, may I ask? The poor Iroquois fled before the army arrived. So we gained the land... but did the horrible raids on the frontier settlers stop? Dear me, no. 'Tis my belief they became even worse! The homes of my family in the Mohawk Valley were burned to the ground. And so many of the Iroquois people became sick and died of starvation. Tsk, tsk.

I have heard of your book, but have not read it. From your description, it appears it might be beyond my scope of understanding. I fear I would be nodding off while reading it!

I did happen upon an excellent book while I was researching the Expedition a while back. I found it in our Borrowing Library, although they would not allow me to borrow it to take home and study. It was necessary for me to make repeated visits so that I could read it and write down some of the information. A very slow process, I might add. 'Twas an old book... about 125 years old... if I could only think of the name of it... Oh dear. I shall have to return to my home to look at my writings. I do remember, however, that it was partly written by a Reverend! Rev. David Craft! He was a very serious student of the Expedition, read everything he could find, and wrote several public addresses. His addresses were compiled into this book, which is very entertaining, to say the least. When I read his words, I can fairly picture in my mind all of the things that were happening!

Thank you... no. Just a few sips of the port is quite enough to warm me. I must be on my way. Next time I come by, I shall tell you the name of that book!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 07 2003 :  11:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus, the book is titled Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations of Indians in 1779, with records of Centennial Celebrations. It was compiled by Frederick Cook, the New York Secretary of State, in 1887.

It contains the Daily Journals of several officers who were on the expedition. I believe these can be found online. But the part I really enjoyed was the compiled Historical Addresses of the Rev. Craft of Wyalusing, PA. The introduction of the book states: "The Rev. David Craft was the pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Wyalusing, Bradford Co., PA, on the Susquehanna River. General Sullivan's army camped there on Aug. 5, 1779. Rev. Craft was an historical scholar of unassuming manner who made himself prominent in the field. As the centennial of the Sullivan Expedition approached in 1879, Rev. Craft became seized with an enthusiastic desire to learn about the campaign and began his tedious research of many records and journals. He gave four historical addresses which have been combined into one paper, published in the Centennial Proceedings, issued by the Waterloo Library and Historical Society in 1879."

It's a great book and I would love to find a copy somewhere to purchase.
Editing later...
After I wrote that last sentence, I did a search on the book. I found a copy for sale... Choke, gasp... for $175.00! Well, I guess I'll have to content myself with occasionally visiting the copy in the Broome Co. Library. Sigh...

Also, I "became seized with an enthusiastic desire" to know more about the good Rev. Craft, and found some hits on him to explore. So I'm off to do that.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 08 2003 :  7:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW------

Search Barnes and Noble, Out of Print Books, with the following and you should get 5 dealers who have it. Some are old and pricey (but maybe worth it!), some are reprints.

Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations of Indians
Cook, Frederick

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 08 2003 :  10:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you Seamus. I will take a look at that. In the meantime, I did a Google search on the title and actually located a German website that has an electronic library. Lo and behold, guess what they have?! Yep. I was able to download a pdf file of actual page images of the portion of the book containing Rev. Craft's addresses. So now at least I have the complete text, rather than just my notes. And if I get really ambitious, I can download the whole book, a little at a time.

Are you familiar with the book, and Rev. Craft's addresses?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 09 2003 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good evening, WW....

I am glad you have found a source online for the book. I, too, will go there and take alook.

Yes, I am familiar with it. I had a chance to get acopy some years ago, but could not come up with the $20.00 that was required at the time. HA! Oh, well.....c'est le guerre!

If I cannot locate it through our friend, Mr. Google, I will contact you via Private Message. Thanks for the heads-up!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Previous Topic: Question number 3. Topic Next Topic: Cook Forest French & Indian War Encampment - Day 2  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07