The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 5:23:15 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 It's Finished!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: My Adventures in Mohicanland Topic Next Topic: Pictures  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - November 10 2007 :  6:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have just completed Part VI of "My Adventures...", and posted it to Rich. Failing any electronic glitches, I trust he got it; and if the last is any indication, will soon have it up with the remaining photos. I hope you have enjoyed reading it so far, as much as I have had writing it, and thereby remembering all these places and people now so long in the past. As I've said before, if you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them.
report to moderator

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - November 11 2007 :  12:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
this is so cool of you. i love the accounts so far. they are educating.

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 11 2007 :  11:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Bravo!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - November 12 2007 :  07:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks very much again James!

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - November 12 2007 :  08:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
James, nicely done! A very good read.

I do have another question for you...which may have already been answered in the forum somewhere but I don't remember seeing it. The guns that Hawkeye and Uncas carry around the whole movie from what I've read weigh about 14 pounds. Were the actors carrying around the real things when they were running and climbing and doing very physical stuff, or were they using lighter "dummy" guns?

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 12 2007 :  08:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've got one, too, James:

Explain, "Back to One" ---

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 12 2007 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by susank2

I do have another question for you...which may have already been answered in the forum somewhere but I don't remember seeing it. The guns that Hawkeye and Uncas carry around the whole movie from what I've read weigh about 14 pounds. Were the actors carrying around the real things when they were running and climbing and doing very physical stuff, or were they using lighter "dummy" guns?

A Brown Bess, one of the heavier guns that the Brits would have used, weighs about 10 lbs. The kind of gun that Uncas carried, a Centermark copy of a Tulle, would weigh about 6 or 7 lbs. Hawkeye's gun would have been somewhere between the two. This is not much to carry. Reenactors do it all the time. As a reference, a WWII M-1 weighes 9.5 lbs.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 12 2007 :  11:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
First, for Rich: "Back to One" is briefly defined in Part II, talking about my photos of the "ambush"; it's the director, assistant, or PA's order for everyone and everything to place themselves and/or their property ( "props" ) back where they were at the beginning of any scene for the next "take". This is done over and over, until the director is satisfied with whatever has been filmed, directs "That's a wrap."; and moves on to the next scene. Of course, when the final scene is complete, that too is a "wrap"; but signifies the end of the entire production. ( The filming, at least. )

For susank2 - As far as I know, the only time "dummy guns" ( usually foam rubber exact replicas ) were used was in scenes where the real thing would be a hazard to the ones carrying them: When Heyward or Munro fall with their horses, for example. If memory serves me right, both those falls were done by stunt doubles; I know Cora's and Alice's were. Also in a very few scenes of hand-to-hand combat, the replicas might be used to deliver direct blows. ( Like Hawkeye and the Huron getting ready to slit Cora's throat! )

Working on "Glory" and "The Alamo - The Price of Freedom", we made some use of the notorious rubber bayonets; which generally look VERY fake, since they tend to wobble and flop around, being only rubber around a thin wire form. Naturally they bend and get broken VERY easily! I don't remember them here, but it's likely we had some. I DO remember rubber/plastic knives and swords used for melees.

The actors and extras tended to use, carry, and run with their usual weapons, though. One thing I'll add to Fitzhugh's explaination is that the weight of one of these rifles is distributed very differently from that of a musket, though the weight is about the same. The rifle is much heaver in the barrel; because of this, it's far easer to balance it by carrying it in the middle - note especially how Hawkeye has it anytime he's running. Soldiers are more likely to carry their muskets sloped across in front, since its weight is more toward the butt.

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - November 12 2007 :  2:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

quote:
Originally posted by susank2

A Brown Bess, one of the heavier guns that the Brits would have used, weighs about 10 lbs. The kind of gun that Uncas carried, a Centermark copy of a Tulle, would weigh about 6 or 7 lbs. Hawkeye's gun would have been somewhere between the two. This is not much to carry. Reenactors do it all the time. As a reference, a WWII M-1 weighes 9.5 lbs.

Ah, I found where I just read about the weight of the gun. It was that New York Times Sunday magazine article about DDL. It says:

During “Last of the Mohicans,” he built a canoe, learned to track and skin animals and perfected the use of a 12-pound flintlock gun, which he took everywhere he went, even to a Christmas dinner.

okay...I was 2 pounds off! It's still a heavy gun to lug around when you're running.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 12 2007 :  3:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would be very surprised to find that the gun weighed 12 lbs. The barrels are swamped and produce a well balanced gun even though they have a long barrel. They are a pleasure to shoot and carry.

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - November 12 2007 :  7:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All I know is there is a weight difference from a twenty gauge shotgun and a thirty ot six. (sorry about spelling).

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 12 2007 :  11:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So Steve Abolt was in LOTM. Well, what do you know! He was at Fort Jackson last weekend with the 7th. Of course, I was at Fort Toulouse with the French. For those of you who may not know, they are on the same site, a few hundred yards apart.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - November 13 2007 :  08:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
susan, be very leary of a magazine article about anything historial. DDL's rifle was more than likely somewhere around or below 10 lbs. We can get in touch with Mark Baker to confirm this since he handled it a great deal. Mel's rifle was around 10 lbs in "The Patriot" and he did not like carrying it so he carried a rubber one every chance he got. Many a time you would see him riding around with it in his teeth.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - November 13 2007 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe it was less than 10 pounds, but felt to him more like 12 pounds
  Previous Topic: My Adventures in Mohicanland Topic Next Topic: Pictures  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07