The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 11:39:29 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 What guns did they carry? Hawkeye was that great a shot??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Who is Le Subtil? Topic Next Topic: Best soundtrack ever?
Page: of 3

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 18 2007

Posted - October 19 2007 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile
Hawkeye had some longbarrel, and some of the shots he made, esp when he covered fired the messenger, were far too ridiculous, even when he shot the Major as he burned. Id believed it a bit more had he missed a couple shots then made one hit. those guns werent accurate over 300 yards at the very most, with that long barrel. the regualr ones maybe accurate to 150 yards. Im guessing they were .57 cal Hawken rifles. But if Hawkeye had the same gun for years on end, you can get pretty good with it, although the barrels were 'unrifled' as far as i know and each shot is basically a crap shoot to be the same as the last, Though he never missed. And at the begining of the movie when magua was in that cloud of smoke then dissappeared, hawkeye should have and would have just fired into the cloud. That is my one complaint, the unrealistic distances and hitting the indians from the fort when the messenger ran
report to moderator

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2007 :  12:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's Hollywood for you. Movies are unrealistic just like jumping through glass and not even getting cut.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 19 2007 :  2:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MaguasBastardChild

.57 cal Hawken rifles.

If you are referring to the guns made by J & S Hawkin of St. Louis, then they are 19th century guns. If you are referring to the guns made by Christian Hocken (also Hawkin) or his brother Wolfgang Haga, then they are 18th Century but too late for the F&I War.

quote:
although the barrels were 'unrifled' as far as i know

The barrel was rifled and could hit most any target the shooter could see. It's hard to sight something much over 150 yds with open sights, though.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Ridgerunner
Pathfinder

USA

November 12 2006

Posted - October 19 2007 :  5:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe Tim Murphy of Revolutionary War fame dropped a British officer at a distance of 500 paces,there is also a case of another officer being killed at 525 paces.

These have been recorded.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2007 :  7:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This has been discussed in previous threads, but it's always fun to rehash this stuff...

I just want to point out that there is no way a .50 cal round ball will completely punch through a human body at 300-400 yards! Hollywood strikes again...

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 19 2007 :  7:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

This has been discussed in previous threads, but it's always fun to rehash this stuff...

I just want to point out that there is no way a .50 cal round ball will completely punch through a human body at 300-400 yards! Hollywood strikes again...

300 yards it could, providing you could hit the target.
Col George Hanger, a British officer, became very interested in the American rifle after he witnessed his bugler's horse shot out from under him at a distance, which he measured several times himself, of "full 400 yards", and he learned all he could of the weapon. He writes:
"I have many times asked the American backwoodsman what was the most their best marksmen could do; they have constantly told me that an expert marksman, provided he can draw good & true sight, can hit the head of a man at 200 yards."

Quotations from M.L. Brown's, FIREARMS IN COLONIAL AMERICA

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2007 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not questioning the accuracy, just the penetration.

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 20 2007 :  12:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

I'm not questioning the accuracy, just the penetration.

it would penetrate the mellon.
Far as the movie goes, it would be hard to hit moving targets from those ranges.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 20 2007 :  1:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I always kinda' scratched my head at that particular scene too. I mean even with a sniper rifle that shot would have been difficult let alone an old rifle.

But that's hollywood for ya'.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 22 2007 :  12:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
well the most ridiculous shot was when they were going nuts over Uncas being killed and Hawkeye grabs two rifles, one in each hand, and with each shoots an indian at the same time. cmon guys, like the injuns are going to just stand there.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 24 2007 :  12:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Those indians did! I guess if you paid them enough money they'd willingly die for ya'!

Sorry~couldn't help it!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 24 2007 :  3:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

. . . cmon guys, like the injuns are going to just stand there.

Obviously, they knew they were supposed to attack one by one in an orderly fashion---like all good movie enemies.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 24 2007 :  4:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
300 yards with an "open sight?" ... How big is this target? A human head? A bit of a challenge I'd say. ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2007 :  4:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fighting in the European manner??

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 25 2007 :  11:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It is more helpful if you contrast the comments by Maj. Hanger regarding RIFLES with what he also had to say about the non-rifled military MUSKETS:

"A soldier's musket, if not exceedingly ill-bored ( as many of them are ), will strike the figure of a man at eighty yards; it may even at 100; but a soldier must be very unfortunate indeed who shall be wounded by a common musket at 150 yards, provided his antagonist aims at him; and as to firing at a man at 200 yards with a common musket, you may just as well fire at the moon and have the same hopes of hitting your object. I do maintain and will prove that no man was ever killed at 200 yards, by a common soldier's musket, by the person who aimed at him."

The common misconception regarding this period is that the poor, stupid British stood in ranks in the open, for no good reason; and were thereby slaughtered by the crafty Indians/Colonials/French, who were all OF COURSE armed with "Kentucky"/Pennsylvania longrifles. This hogwash persists in Ridgerunner's repeating the now-discredited but oft-told story of that loudmouth, Timothy Murphy.

In fact, rifles such as "Killdeer" were VERY rare in the period; John Adams wrote his wife about the strange "new" weapon he'd heard about once he got to Philladelphia for the Continental Congress - the rifle. And this AFTER the battles at Lexington and Concord; where, by the way NONE of the Mass. militia had them! When you consider ALL rifles were manufactured by hand by individual craftsmen, much like Japanese swords, you get a better understanding of their rarity. Muskets, on the other hand WERE manufactured in factories; but hardly in Henry Ford's efficient "assembly line" fashion, like now, still requiring a LOT of time-consuming hand fitting of hardware to stock.

Muskets had no interchangeable parts until after Eli Whitney's introduction of "mass production" in the early 1800's. Just like now, that influenced the reason why there was resistance by the government/military to adopt rifles instead of muskets: Muskets could be mass-produced, and were thereby a lot CHEAPER; as well as much faster to load and fire! Rifles were also NOT fitted to take a bayonet; which in this period was considered the infantryman's primary weapon! It was not until the Civil War that practical rifle manufacture came along, resulting in the bloodbaths that characterized battles in the 1860's.

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 25 2007 :  12:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by James N.

It is more helpful if you contrast the comments by Maj. Hanger regarding RIFLES with what he also had to say about the non-rifled military MUSKETS:

"A soldier's musket, if not exceedingly ill-bored ( as many of them are ), will strike the figure of a man at eighty yards; it may even at 100; but a soldier must be very unfortunate indeed who shall be wounded by a common musket at 150 yards, provided his antagonist aims at him; and as to firing at a man at 200 yards with a common musket, you may just as well fire at the moon and have the same hopes of hitting your object. I do maintain and will prove that no man was ever killed at 200 yards, by a common soldier's musket, by the person who aimed at him."

The common misconception regarding this period is that the poor, stupid British stood in ranks in the open, for no good reason; and were thereby slaughtered by the crafty Indians/Colonials/French, who were all OF COURSE armed with "Kentucky"/Pennsylvania longrifles. This hogwash persists in Ridgerunner's repeating the now-discredited but oft-told story of that loudmouth, Timothy Murphy.

In fact, rifles such as "Killdeer" were VERY rare in the period; John Adams wrote his wife about the strange "new" weapon he'd heard about once he got to Philladelphia for the Continental Congress - the rifle. And this AFTER the battles at Lexington and Concord; where, by the way NONE of the Mass. militia had them! When you consider ALL rifles were manufactured by hand by individual craftsmen, much like Japanese swords, you get a better understanding of their rarity. Muskets, on the other hand WERE manufactured in factories; but hardly in Henry Ford's efficient "assembly line" fashion, like now, still requiring a LOT of time-consuming hand fitting of hardware to stock.

Muskets had no interchangeable parts until after Eli Whitney's introduction of "mass production" in the early 1800's. Just like now, that influenced the reason why there was resistance by the government/military to adopt rifles instead of muskets: Muskets could be mass-produced, and were thereby a lot CHEAPER; as well as much faster to load and fire! Rifles were also NOT fitted to take a bayonet; which in this period was considered the infantryman's primary weapon! It was not until the Civil War that practical rifle manufacture came along, resulting in the bloodbaths that characterized battles in the 1860's.

Hawkeye was called "longrifle' by the Sachem chief. (How did the Sachem know Hawkeye had that nickname anyway, as Haweyes dad calls him a few times by it too??)
So was Hawkeye carrying a longrifle? We see the barrel is very long (increasing accuracy at longer ranges), but were the guns of that period actually posessing 'rifled' barrels? The reason the muskets are so innaccurate is the lack of rifled barrels, so a pinball is basically being shot out of it and it comes out with random and inconsistent precision

Ridgerunner
Pathfinder

USA

November 12 2006

Posted - October 25 2007 :  12:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.americanrevolution.org/murphy.html

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 25 2007 :  3:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Hawkeye was called "longrifle' by the Sachem chief. (How did the Sachem know Hawkeye had that nickname anyway, as Haweyes dad calls him a few times by it too??)
So was Hawkeye carrying a longrifle? We see the barrel is very long (increasing accuracy at longer ranges), but were the guns of that period actually posessing 'rifled' barrels? The reason the muskets are so innaccurate is the lack of rifled barrels, so a pinball is basically being shot out of it and it comes out with random and inconsistent precision

Cooper was writing to the people of his time, who by then had heard all about the longrifle and had a great appreciation for it and the many myths created in its behalf. If Cooper said he had a longrifle, then he had a longrifle. If Rowling said Dumbledore was gay, then he was gay. Same then as now.

The main reason muskets were inaccurate is that they used an undersized ball and weren't patched.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 25 2007 :  5:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

. . . How did the Sachem know Hawkeye had that nickname anyway, as Haweyes dad calls him a few times by it too? . . .

Hawkeye is a feared and respected, and somewhat legendary, figure on the frontier. A white man who has grown up with the Delawares (the arch-enemy of the Huron!) and is a crack shot with a long rifle is sure to be talked about among enemy tribes, like the band of Hurons the sachem leads.

quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

300 yards with an "open sight?" ... How big is this target? A human head? A bit of a challenge I'd say. ;)

Depends on whose head it is. Some are much larger than others.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2007 :  7:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
An interesting sidelight to this subject is that, during the Civil War (hey, it's what I know best), the Springfield rifled-musket was mass produced at several armories and had interchangeable parts and individual serial numbers, whereas the Enfield rifled-musket, which was imported by both sides in the bazillions, was basically manufactured by small, family-owned shops, and thus did not have interchangeable parts or serial numbers (contrary to that famous scene in "Glory").

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 25 2007 :  7:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Heh, heh, - good point RF ;)

you can keep "The Change"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 25 2007 :  8:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, Obediah, but the Springfields didn't have serial numbers, either; nor did the Mississippis. Colt revolvers DID; but they were at first civillian arms, primarally. ( Don't know about their notorious revolving rifles, though. ) I was in the core group of reenactors in Glory who were watching out for mistakes like that, but somehow that one escaped us at the time.

I know Ridgerunner's a fan of Tim Murphy, maybe rightly so; but a well-reasoned article I saw in the past ( probably in American Rifleman ) pointed out that MANY of Morgan's men were aiming at Fraser, even if he did ask Murphy to "do the deed"; and that some of the others were considerably closer to the target. Richard Ketchum DOES credit Murphy in what is probably the best account of Saratoga; but in the absence of forensic ballistics, it's probably impossible to now know which of many riflemen deserves the credit.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2007 :  11:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oops...my bad about the Springfield S/N's...so much for trusting my memory! BTW, there was one other major historical goof in "Glory" (that I can remember): the flogging scene. Flogging had been erased from US Army regs for several years by then, IIRC. Don't get me wrong! I dearly love this movie...even if it does star Ferris Bueller and The Dread Pirate Roberts! FWIW, this was the first movie I ever saw Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, and Andre Braugher in!

halfbreed
Pioneer

June 18 2006

Posted - October 25 2007 :  11:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
just like nobody will ever know for sure who killed gen.ross at northpoint in 1814.
h-b

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 26 2007 :  12:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We certainly knew that flogging was an historical anacronism; but it was an important part of the SCRIPT. So, like so many of Mann's gaffes, it of course stayed in. As you may know, the 54th was in fact a showcase unit, given priority in many respects such as equipment ( like the Enfields, for example ); but again Hollywood never lets the facts get in the way of a good story! In reality, while the regiment was mustering in and beginning training, Shaw was honeymooning at his Long Island home.

If you want to put a face to the perpetrator of all that is good about Glory, as well as many of the mistakes, blame the Connecticut corporal ( I forget his name ) who Denzel almost has the fight with. The same one who, as they march to their doom shouts, "Give 'em Hell 54th!" That's the author of the screenplay, having his own little cameos in "his" movie!

At the time we filmed Glory, only Matthew Broderick was a "name"; Morgan had been on a kid's TV show ( the Electric Co. or Sesamie Street ) and a movie that was released while we were in the middle of filming; and Denzel had been a TV Dr. on St. Elsewhere, and had a few small parts in other movies. Hardly "star" turns; but Morgan went straight from Glory to Atlanta to film Driving Miss Daisy. It was released first, because there was a lot less post-production work on it vs. Glory; so that by the time Glory came out, his star was already in the ascendant!

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 26 2007 :  12:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by James N.
[

At the time we filmed Glory, only Matthew Broderick was a "name";

I looked up 'wimp' in the dictionary, and they showed a picture of Alan Alda, and then a picture of Matthew Broderick right next to it. Great examples Oxford!!!!!!!!!! I agree
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Who is Le Subtil? Topic Next Topic: Best soundtrack ever?  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07