The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 3:35:13 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Does the book say how Hawkeye's parents died??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Something I noticed about Alice... Topic Next Topic: I Will Find You - lyrics
Page: of 2

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - September 10 2007 :  8:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In regards to the original question about Hawkeye's family- has anyone consulted hmacdougall? That guy is encyclopedic, I think he's even the head of the James Fenimore Cooper society.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 11 2007 :  12:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

Cooper probably did not know a lot about the history of guns and simply wanted to create a persona for his lead character.

I think you're probably right, Fitz. After all, the man was expelled from Yale for accidentaly blowing up part of a dorm. Oops. I think perhaps weapons were not Mr. Cooper's specialty!

Blew up a dorm? Maybe an early member of the SDS?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 11 2007 :  5:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here is a copy of a gun for sale on the Track Of The Wolf web site that many people believe would best represent a Pennsylvania or Virginia rifle from the early 1750's. Maybe even before that.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=12&subId=81&styleId=280&partNum=AAC-273

This is what Hawkeye might have carried in the F&I. The barrel is only 37 inches long whearas many fowlers had barrels in the 50's, so he would have been known as "le court carabine", or even "le petit carabine" which might have taken something away from his image.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - September 11 2007 :  5:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow, Fitz. Those last two comments really made me laugh! "Le petite carabine" . . . that's too funny! I don't think Natty would brag about that.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 13 2007 :  1:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not many men would.

And that is all I'm gonna' say.

Light whispers to self, "Bite my tongue, bite my tongue, bite my tongue..."

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

gema_again
Lost in the Wilderness

Hawkeye 3
USA

December 24 2007

Posted - February 15 2008 :  4:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

In his defense, as an author it's difficult to 100% accuracy in a storyline that's historical. Believe me, I've been writing on one for nearly 7yrs! And still am learning more and more.

But thankfully we have people like Fitz around who can clue us in. That tidbit comes in handy (for me anyway). Now I have some editing to do!

Thanks Fitz and WW!

If those in New Amsterdam were businessmen they would have hired Hessians and Germans as sharpshooters, guards and general security imo. They may have had an attitude of peace and trade but they didn't fool everyone !!

The Dutch who originally settled New Amsterdam were more interested in import, export, trade and keeping the peace on the frontier so business could continue, imo. They had no need of guns or to sell or trade guns with the locals. They may not have considered their own need for defenses or self-defense, imo.

Kin-tuc-ee

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 15 2008 :  6:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In the early 1600's the French took the side of the Hurons in their conflict with the Iroquois League, so the League they turned to the Dutch for guns. The Dutch were more than happy to provide them. Once they were well armed, the Iroquois almost wiped out the Hurons and cleared out the Ohio valley. The French finally sent a regiment to New France, the Carignan-Salieres Regiment, to regain control of the situation. Up to that time the soldiers in New France were mercenaries hired by the various mercantile companies. Even though the Iroquois were winning, they were taking so many losses that they finally had to sue for peace. The Dutch were, and still are, arms dealers to the world.

halfbreed
Pioneer

June 18 2006

Posted - February 15 2008 :  10:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
in fact, many of the german auxiliary troops sent here to help put down the rebellion, carried dutch made arms...a fellow in my hessian group carries a rifle shoppe repro of a dutch musket. i have always thought that dutch made weapons were to often overlooked in 18thc history, fitz is right on. north america in the 18thc was flooded with dutch weapons.
h-b

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 16 2008 :  12:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
South Carolina bought about 4500 of them in the 1750's to arm their provincial troops and militia. One, at least, is still in existence and is pictured in one of the historic arms publications. There are probably more still around in private collections.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - February 16 2008 :  08:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe Hawkeye had a rifle like this one, that would have made him "Le Longue Carabine"

1750's Rifle called the Musician Rifle marked "1756 NJ", 44" barrel.

Eric Kettenburg's rendition of it:

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Something I noticed about Alice... Topic Next Topic: I Will Find You - lyrics  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07