The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 1:28:00 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 I might be in the firing squad's aim here but....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Hawkeye and Cora - Memorable Film Couple Topic Next Topic: Bougainville
Page: of 2

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 10 2006 :  08:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LeyLana1462
I'm thinking to myself, what, you think she's just going to suddenly drop her bundle and kill herself????, she's a strong woman who has already endured quite a bit.

I can't tell if you are being facetious here or not, but he didn't think she would commit suicide. He knew that she was a very strong and somewhat feisty woman and would probably fight her captors in every way she could. You may recall that he told her to submit? He was trying to tell her to calm her feistiness, submit to whatever the Indians did to her (use your imagination here), obey them, and do whatever she had to do to stay alive. In short, he wanted her to do whatever it took to make certain they had no reason to kill her.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - July 10 2006 :  6:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aaaaah, see, there you go, I hadn't heard the 'submit' bit!

teee hee eheeee, can you just see it? Cora being submissive!

They are all there, but one.
I, Chingachgook, Last of the Mohicans.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - July 10 2006 :  6:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you WW for your very insightful remarks. I understand what you and LeyLana write about DDL's acting in the Cameron's Cabin scene, I saw it too, and I also thought it was great piece of acting.

However, I do see something similar in the way he speaks when he tells Cora "and they stay as they lay" and when he gives his "farewell speech" under the falls. That is probably why I get an idea of it being his acting technique.. Well, watching the film too many times and analyzing every moment changes one's perspective a little..

Under the falls Hawkeye also felt very emotional and at the same time tried to speak in a controlled way (as "real men" always do), only the surroundings were a bit louder.. He was very upset having to leave Cora (as that was the only possibility of survival - apparently), not knowing if he ever sees her alive again but not being able to accept this.. He did not just beg Cora to stay alive, it looked to me as if he almost pleaded with fate to let her live through this. In short - he made almost unbearable decision and was overwhelmed by emotions but tried to stay focused.. That's how I saw it..

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - July 10 2006 :  7:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! That is actually very deep and thoughtful Raindrops. I guess it could be taken that way hey. I can see why the part under the falls is now special to you.

You know my biggest problem is I tend to analyse movies too much....lol....

My friends hate me going to horror flicks or suspense flicks with them because while they're sitting on the edge of their seat and jumping at every little thing I sit there going "oh, come on, you can see that was coming.....blah de blah de blah..."......tee hee heee

Too much film study at school.

No matter, I still think this one of the best films ever made.

I like the way tho that so many people found differing parts of the movie didn't sit right for them. It shows how diverse we are in what we look for in a film, I think.

I noticed there are a few of us don't like when Nathaniel says to Duncan that one day they are going to have a serious disagreement. I loved that bit, the look on DDL's face was like, 'watch it fella', I loved it.

They are all there, but one.
I, Chingachgook, Last of the Mohicans.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - July 12 2006 :  9:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LeyLana1462

Wow! That is actually very deep and thoughtful Raindrops.

Thank you.

quote:

You know my biggest problem is I tend to analyse movies too much....lol....

My friends hate me going to horror flicks or suspense flicks with them because while they're sitting on the edge of their seat and jumping at every little thing I sit there going "oh, come on, you can see that was coming.....blah de blah de blah..."......tee hee heee

Yeah, I do that too. After a while it becomes difficult to get any excitement from these films with this approach, though..

quote:

No matter, I still think this one of the best films ever made.

No doubt..

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 13 2006 :  02:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I must admit that Im always opting for the movies set in historical times as opposed to the more modern efforts ... I like the whole atmosphere, the costumes, the language differences, the behaviours and etiquette ... it can be such a colourful experience!

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Hawkeye and Cora - Memorable Film Couple Topic Next Topic: Bougainville  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07