The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 12:02:54 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 The Battle of Grant's Hill
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: New  F&I Documentary Premiere Topic Next Topic: Braddocks Defeat Historical Sites
Page: of 2

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 23 2002

Posted - September 15 2002 :  10:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Friends,on Sept.14,2002 we recently celebrated the 244th anniversary of the "Battle of Grant's Hill".It was the second major engagement involving Highlanders in the service of the British Crown in North America in 1758(the first involved "The BlackWatch" at Ft.Ticonderoga several months prior).A sideshow of the Forbes Campaign,it was only supposed to be a reconnaisance of Ft.Duquesne to check the French allied-indians who were harassing the British forces at Ft.Ligonier some 50 miles distant.When Major James Grant of the 77th thought that the stillness of the post meant that it was understrength,he decided to attack,in violation of his orders and suffered 270 casualties out of 800 in his force.Grant was also captured,and spent the next year as a p.o.w. in QuebecHe did come back as a General during the RevWar to battle against George Washington on Long Island.We are currently filming a documetary"George Washington's First War:The Battle for Ft.Duquesne".This is the first time that "The Battle of Grant's Hill"will be on film.Check it out at:www.paladincom.com EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.
report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 23 2002 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye Lieutenant, the good major was certainly an example of the "peter principle". The one and only act of redemption was his ability to broker a peace treaty with the Cherokee Tribes in the Carolinias, after his exchange from the French. This cerainly demonstrated the need to limit the major's duties to diplomatic ones only and to leave the tactical problems to more competent commanders, like yourself...

Your Faithful Sergeant,
Duncan

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 23 2002 :  1:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard, Sgt. Boot Licker! ("....like yourself...", indeed!!!) (Snicker, snicker!)

Good to have you aboard, Duncan! See you at Loyalhanna 3 weeks hence...(Ft. Ligonier to the uninformed.)

My love to Lady Munro!

Pax Aye!!

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Edited by - Seamus on September 23 2002 1:46:40 PM

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 23 2002 :  2:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My cousin Seamus, it is good to hear from you. Lady Munro sends hugs and kisses and we both look forward to seeing you again at Loyalhanna. We will have to have a wee dram to salute our cousin Malcom, who will be campaigning in New York Colony.

Your Cousin,
Duncan

P.S.- Any word on the Kittaning Medal I inquired about obtaining?

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 25 2002 :  02:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You two look like you're having entirely too much fun on this forumdo you think that Major Grant will make an appearance at Fort Ligonier?(along with the George Washington mannequin)

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 25 2002 :  07:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Why not.....you took his inflatable sheep with you when you left. Heheheheheheh!

Pax Aye!!

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 27 2002 :  3:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tis' true cousin,but won't it make the mannequins of Henri Bouquet & Archibald Montgomery a wee bit jealous? :D

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 30 2002 :  02:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye Lieutenant, but we must tell Cousin Seamus the whole story over a few drinks at Loyalhanna. Since he has already had the "Major Grant Experience" in 2001, he will really appreciate the humor...

Your Sergeant,
Duncan

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 01 2002 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Agreed,I think that everyone should have the "Major Grant Experience"to truly appreciate what they have.I suppose that "everyone serves a purpose,even if it's as a bad example"(Leadership Secrets of Attilla the Hun)

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 02 2002 :  12:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah yes, but remember when he said to you at Edge Hill, "You have alot to learn about being an officer." I guess that experience as a line officer in the U.S. Army doesn't count with the "major". I guess next he'll say that I have alot to learn about being a sergeant (Once again, I guess experience as a squad leader in actual combat doesn't count with him either).

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 02 2002 :  10:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tis' true,and you should not mention that"other"regiment in his presence

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2002 :  01:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He is to busy confronting the Bouquet, Washington and Montgomery manequins in regards to their conspiring against his master plan to take Ft. Duquesne...

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 03 2002 :  9:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tell me then,will he be the officer presiding over their courts-martial?

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 09 2002 :  12:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know this is a bit off subject Lieutenant, but being that 2003 is the 240th anniversary of the Battle of Bushy Run and we are members of the Ft. Pitt Associates Board, do you think we should plan a special memorial for the lads to attend on that hallow ground?

Sgt. Duncan Munro
42nd RHR

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 09 2002 :  03:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great idea,glad I thought of it

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 09 2002 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye sir, and here's to a good weekend at Loyalhanna....
...And its all for me grog,
me jolly, jolly grog,
all gone for beer and tobacco...

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 21 2002 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And what a good weekend it wasWe got some things accomplished and have established ourselves as a new unit(much like Rich Baker and his Virginians).The 77th was a useful vehicle to get us to the movie(and Grant's Hill).Now the next one will get us to Bushy Run as the RHR.

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2002 :  10:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Right Captain, but let us now enjoy the fruits of our labors. After we get a good workout at Doc's this weekend, we can then look forward to a good season closer at OBV....

... Oh, I wish I was a gunner,
Aboard that Man-O-War...

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 27 2002 :  8:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There is a lot that can be learned from this battle,as many military types consider it a classic example of small unit tactics,and is still studied today.Once we bring it to the silver screen in "George Washington's First War:The Battle for Ft.Duquesne"using computer generated graphics(much as was done for Braddock's Defeat in When the Forest Ran Red)it will be better illustrated.Check it out at:www.paladincom.com EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 29 2002 :  04:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Captain, I believe you made mention once of an order, during that battle, for the men to remove their regimentals in order to better use their broadswords. Where was that recorded? I cannot locate it within the Vogler Library (And you know how extensive that is!!!).

Your Humble Servant,

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 30 2002 :  01:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe that "Ft.Ligonier and its Times"covers it.When I first saw it,it was off a webpage that mentions the battle as well as casualty figures for officers & nco's of the 77th.Check the handouts that I sent out with my brother,you may already have it.EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2002 :  02:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I checked "Ft. Ligonier and It's Times", and it was a 'no-joy' result. I'll peruse "The Papers of Edmound Highlander" in the A.M., I'm sure I'll find it there.

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 30 2002 :  12:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes,I thought it was in thereand I know I've seen it in print.I'll keep checking on my end.EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2002 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye Captain, I'll be sure the boys will be ready for you, upon your arrival at Ft. Bedford this weekend. This time we'll have Pte. "Big Ian" Mac Intyre to lead the company in song...

...And its all for me grog,
me jolly, jolly grog
all gone fore beer and tobacco,
for I spent all me tin,
with the lassies drinkin' gin
across the western ocean, I must wander

And I'm sick in me head
and I 'aven't been to bed
since I first came to shore with me plunder,
for I spent all me loot
in the house of ill repute,
and I think I'm going back again tommorow

and its all for me grog,
me jolly, jolly grog...

Your Humble Servant,

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

Big Duncan MacLaren
Pathfinder

November 26 2002

Posted - November 29 2002 :  4:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Esteemed Liste:

I assume that the actual site of Grant's Defeat has been as thoroughly obliterated as the site of Braddock's defeat.

Is it even possible to identify the site today?

Your Servant,
D. MacLaren, Pvt.
Grenadier Coy., 77th Regiment

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 08 2003 :  03:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Allegheny County Courthouse now stands where the hill once was.The front doors are where the basement used to be.The same goes for the Frick Bldg. across the street and would have extended to where Kaufman's Dept.Store adjoins it(one of Maj.Grant's Highlanders is said to haunt the 10th floor where the hill would have been).Hogg's Pond would have been right after Kaufman's and flowed into the Monongahela River.This is around one half mile to the Point where Capt.MacDonald's Coy.would have marched almost to the gates of Ft.Duquesne and fought a small European style battle in the open terrain(in ranks and close order using volley-fire)until they were forced to withdraw.

There is nothing in the Ft.Pitt Museum to let one know that a battle took place here.There is a DAR plaque on the side of the Courthouse that gives a brief account of the battle and a mural painted on a wall inside.It is my goal to get a blue P.H.M.C historic marker out front eventually,much like there is one to mark Capt.Bullet's 1759 Defeat outside of Ligonier.

Highlander
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: New  F&I Documentary Premiere Topic Next Topic: Braddocks Defeat Historical Sites  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07