The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 12:15:38 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Return of the King
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Colonial era Horror films Topic Next Topic: Open Range
Page: of 2

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2003 :  5:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The trailer is now available at:

http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_rotk_trailer.html

Can't wait!!!

OH HAI!
Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
report to moderator

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 03 2003 :  6:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yup! Me neither! Can't wait!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - October 03 2003 :  7:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Alamo will beat it in the Oscar race.....*wink "lol"

www.alamosentry.com

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2003 :  7:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dillon,

If it does, it's more telling about the Oscars than about the movies

Ilse

OH HAI!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 03 2003 :  8:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've got to admit, never having indulged in hobbits & rings before, I am hooked after finally watching the first 2 of the trilogy a couple of weeks back. I have a new trilogy of must-sees coming up - LOTR, The Alamo, and The Passion ... eagerly awaiting them all.

By the way, anyone ever notice some LOTM/LOTR similarities? Something in the way the main non-hobbit hero - Aragon??? - carries himself reminds me of Hawkeye [DDL version] ... other things crossed my mind as I watched, as well.

I guess I see LOTM in everything ... sad, but true.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2003 :  2:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As someone who read the books over 25 years ago, and was also a Dungeons & Dragons Player at that time (Now blushing and hiding behind my halberd), I am looking forward to this third installment. More importantly, I am also looking forward to the relase of the expanded directors cut of "The Two Towers", as I have already purchased the same version of "Fellowship...". The expanded directors cut is almost 5 hours in length and includes so much in the way of added scenes (probably more correctly called 'not removed') that helps weave the tale together. It was a worthwhile investment.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Adele
The Huggy Merchant

May 17 2002

Posted - October 04 2003 :  4:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Adele a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ilse

The trailer is now available at:

http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_rotk_trailer.html

Can't wait!!!

Can't wait, can't wait, can't WAITTTTT!!!! Thanks for posting link Ilse...

HM

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2003 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
SgtMunro said:
quote:
More importantly, I am also looking forward to the release of the expanded directors cut of "The Two Towers", as I have already purchased the same version of "Fellowship...".

Me too! Though, I couldn't constrain my self and bought the current DVD-version too :) I thought the extended version of Fellowship added so much depth.

Rich said:
quote:
By the way, anyone ever notice some LOTM/LOTR similarities? Something in the way the main non-hobbit hero - Aragon??? - carries himself reminds me of Hawkeye [DDL version] ... other things crossed my mind as I watched, as well.

Now that you mention it: yes!

OH HAI!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 04 2003 :  6:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So far, I've adhered to my inner voice and abstained from watching these.

Well, except for a few snippets on the monitors at the local Blockbuster.

~~Aim small, miss small.

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - October 04 2003 :  8:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I loved the extended version of "Fellowship" also and found myself purchasing the current DVD of "Two Towers" knowing full well that I would end up buying the extended version when it arrives. I don't mind giving my dollars to people that provide entertainment of that caliber. These movies stand alone in the current field of fluff and schlock, they are providing what I hoped to find and was severely disappointed to find lacking in the new Star Wars trilogy. They are also proving that if a film is good enough you can keep people in theatres for three plus hours, ala "Dances With Wolves", "Braveheart", etc...
I've never read the books, I've always heard horror stories about 50 page spiels about innane elven info. Same reason I've stayed away from the "Lewis and Clark Journals"(not innane elven info, more like extended descriptions of birds). I have read the entire "Dune" series and have heard it compared to LOTR in complexity.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2003 :  02:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ilse wrote:
quote:
SgtMunro said:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More importantly, I am also looking forward to the release of the expanded directors cut of "The Two Towers", as I have already purchased the same version of "Fellowship...".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too! Though, I couldn't constrain my self and bought the current DVD-version too :) I thought the extended version of Fellowship added so much depth.

Well Ms. Ilse, it looks like you and I agree on something. There may be hope for the Middle East yet.

I guess it is safe to assume that these movies attract the passionate and intellegent!!!!!

It is still very, very difficult to wait for the extended DVD. I may end up going out and getting the same version you did. Either way, lets look forward to the third (and hopefully not final installment) part of the Ring Trilogy. I would love to see the director/producers do a version of "The Hobbit" as well.

-Or-

Adele
The Huggy Merchant

May 17 2002

Posted - October 06 2003 :  05:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Adele a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

There is something there Rich..you are right. I put it down partly to the actors being of a similar type. From what I have seen and learned of Viggo Mortensen, he is an actor with a very similar work ethic to DDL, and I think it shows in his performance - pure quality! But the characters have a lot in common, brave, noble, taciturn, fighting men! Gotta love em!

HM

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 06 2003 :  07:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I especially saw it while Aragorn was creeping through the forest. Very "Hawkeye-like" indeed. Viggo is in an upcoming movie "Hildalgo" to be released sometime this fall I think.

Theresa

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 06 2003 :  6:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interestingly enough, DD-L was, as I recall, the director's and
producer's first choice for the role of Aragon, but he declined
because he didn't want to commit to three years of filming.
I always thought Mortensen captured the look of Daniel as sort
of 50% Hawkeye and 50% the way he looked in "The Crucible."
Normally, Doc M HATES movies about little nasty creatures
under three feet high...go figure!...but she really enjoyed
LOTR.

Doc M

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - November 24 2003 :  12:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I finally saw the trailer last week before "Master & Commander". I too can't wait!! I heard all the hubbub about The Hobbit and all in junior high, but was never compelled to read the book...which I finally did earlier this year. I am rather surprised how close the movies follow the books, in most respects anyway. Eager to see the extended TTT dvd as well.

I'm with you, susquesus, I've got both versions of FOTR, will have both of TTT and probably ROTK. lol

"Hidalgo" also looks good, from the trailer.

daire

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 14 2003 :  2:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
SgtMunro said:

quote:
Well Ms. Ilse, it looks like you and I agree on something. There may be hope for the Middle East yet.

To stay true to the message of the story: There is always hope, Sgt!

Have you seen the extended edition, yet? What are your thoughts on it?

OH HAI!

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 14 2003 :  8:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

YES! I thought I was the only one, but apparently not! Aragorn is quite the heroic figure, like Hawkeye. And Viggo Mortensen is quite the dude, like DDL! From what I've read, he walked around with his sword much of the time, the same way DDL walked around "in character". Maybe that's typical of those intense, heroic actor types?

quote:

And that's a problem...how?!!!!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 16 2003 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Have you seen the extended edition, yet? What are your thoughts on it?

Well Ilse, I have finally got my hands on the 4-DVD Extended Edition of 'The Two Towers'. What can I say, "Wow!!!" It is truly worth the extra cash, just like the 4-DVD Extended Edition of 'Fellowship of the Ring'. You have to get it, you will not be disappointed!!!!

P.S.- Only three more days till 'Return of the King' opens here in the U.S. I can't wait!!!

-Or-

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 17 2003 :  3:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I really enjoyed the TTT extended edition, except for the "Eowyn can't cook" scene. I thought that one was rather silly

Return of the King is getting rave reviews here! Unfortunately, I won't see it until after Christmas

Hope you guys keep me posted on your experiences.

Scott, you don't want to see it, so you can keep the images you got from reading the book in your head?

OH HAI!

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - December 17 2003 :  8:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I went and saw the movie today....battle scenes and special effects are some the best I've ever seen.....I give it on a scale of 1 - 10 rings 0 <--(that's a ring) 0000000000(10)...though the end was a little mushy and somewhat over dramatized....if you take your wife or girlfriend, make sure they have plenty of hankys.....they'll need 'em!

Now if we can only get someone to make a French and Indian War or Rev War movie of that calibre!!!!!!!!

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - December 17 2003 :  8:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Agreed, how about a "Leatherstocking Trilogy" "Deerslayer", "Last of the Mohicans", and "Pathfinder". Hook Michael Mann up with the crews from "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Patriot", dump say $250,000,000 into it, release over 6 years. I like it.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - December 18 2003 :  4:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw this at the midnite showing on Tuesday.Awesome!There was an interview with director Peter Jackson last week,who stated that he is warming the idea of a "Hobbit" movie as well.

As for Michael Mann doing an F&I series of movies,I'd love to see it.I was also hoping for the Carlyle/Sayles film too,but we'll see.

What we do have now is "The War That Made America" www.thewarthatmadeamerica.org currently in production for PBS.

Highlander

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2003 :  4:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Hope you guys keep me posted on your experiences.

Well, Ilse, Lady Munro and I went to see it last night. So that I will not spoil it for you, I'll keep my commentary brief. Return of the King is of the same quality as the first two of the trilogy, that being it stays true to JRT's original stories/mythos. Excellent work of screenplay art, you will not be disappointed.

quote:
There was an interview with director Peter Jackson last week,who stated that he is warming the idea of a "Hobbit" movie as well.

I hope he does decide to do the prequel, Captain.

quote:
As for Michael Mann doing an F&I series of movies,I'd love to see it.I was also hoping for the Carlyle/Sayles film too,but we'll see.

Don't hold your breath, and don't expect too much...

-Or-

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - December 19 2003 :  5:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At the risk of possibly offending everyone, I've kinda been bored with these films.Just too much of the same repetative formula for my taste. Now if you like long shots of the actors gazing off into the distance, then these films are awesome, but I kinda find it boring. And if you add up all the scenes with any dialogue from all three films, it would probably amount to little more than an hour.

That being said, the scenery is very good. And in this last one, the 6,000 horsemen of Rohan charging into 10,000 orcs was truly awesome! But in my opinion there's just too many unnecessary close ups of slimy ugly orcs, and people gazing into the distance with various facial expressions.

Now as for films I'd like to see made, the rest of the Leatherstocking Tales would be cool, but very unlikely.

But what I'd really like to see is a good WWI epic on the scale of "Band of Brothers." There have been so few WWI films made, and those that were, were done at a time when they didn't have the technology to do it right.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 20 2003 :  10:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
At the risk of possibly offending everyone, I've kinda been bored with these films. Just too much of the same repetative formula for my taste.

You are not offending me, Ranger. Movies are like ice cream, which is why there is always more than one "flavor" available at any given time. As to the repetative formula, well, movies (and before them, stage performances) follow several basic outlines which have remained unchanged since the time of the Ancient Greeks.

quote:
But what I'd really like to see is a good WWI epic on the scale of "Band of Brothers." There have been so few WWI films made, and those that were, were done at a time when they didn't have the technology to do it right.

I agree, that would be definately worth watching.

-Or-

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 30 2003 :  5:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I saw it last night. And I'm very sorry Sarge, but I am disappointed. Spectacular movie, but hasn't anything to do with the original story anymore

OH HAI!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Colonial era Horror films Topic Next Topic: Open Range  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.53 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07