The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 9:17:04 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Braddock's Road
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Did Half-King use George Washington? Topic Next Topic: The French at Fort Necessity  

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - October 02 2003 :  9:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is an interesting thread that was that I got from the B.A.R.
chatroom about Braddock's Road.

Subject: Re: Braddock's Road

Rich,

From Cumberland, Md (Fort Cumberland) to at least Fort Necessity and
Braddock's Grave, U.S. Alternate Route 40 follows it very closely.
Many locals have the idea that Route 40 was simply paved over
Braddock's military road but, this is not so. Perhaps some portions
of Braddock's road were paved over but definitly not all as some
portions of the road are still in existance.

You may find some of the following websites to be of interest:

http://www.route40.net/history/braddock-lacock.shtml

http://www.gospelcom.net/jumonville/brpa/story.html

http://www.geocities.com/wmdasm/braddock.html

Hope that was of some help to you..

Nick Costello
1stPB

report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2003 :  08:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you Grenouille, that does help shine some light on one of the most common myths (and one that I believed for some time) in regards to the Braddock Military Road.

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 05 2003 :  11:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In fact,there is a Braddock Road Preservation Association that is concerned with just that.It hosts an annual French & Indian War Seminar www.braddockroadpa.org When I was down at Ft.Necessity a few weeks back,I stopped at General Braddock's grave to pay my respects.A few yards away were the original road tracings where the first grave was located(in the middle of the road),then moved in 1803 to the present location(some say Thomas Fausett directed the workmen who found it).US 40 is located several yards to the other side of the memorial marker(grave).

Highlander

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 08 2003 :  12:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Walking those road tracings are quite an experience. Especially on a hot day in early July. I imagine it would be equally erie at night.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 09 2003 :  12:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

Walking those road tracings are quite an experience. Especially on a hot day in early July. I imagine it would be equally erie at night.

It is funny that you should mention that sarge.In the book:"Devils,Ghosts and Witches:Occult Folklore of the Upper Ohio Valley" by George Swetnam, he relates a story from the Fayette County section.In it he states that where the National Road meets Braddock Run,(creek)the ghost of one of General Braddock's Grenadiers will"accompany persons across the bridge on the run" and will vanish once the person has safely crossed.

Highlander

Jumonville
Pathfinder

Captain Jack Winthrop

August 30 2003

Posted - October 11 2003 :  2:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
the route 40 website displays a great collection of post cards depicting many sites that no longer exist.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 16 2003 :  2:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
According to George Swetnam,there are many former landmarks along the Braddock Road that are no longer there.There was apparently a burned out log cabin that much of the supernatural activity focused on.This included sightings of a specteral deer and a wagon theat was pulled by phantom black stallions and piloted by none other than the devil himself.Course you're all probably a little old for ghost stories.

Highlander

Jumonville
Pathfinder

Captain Jack Winthrop

August 30 2003

Posted - October 16 2003 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Braddock Road in Northern Virginia.

There is a Braddock Road there that runs from Alexandria, through Fairfax, Prince William and Loudon Counties. Would this be the route used by Braddock when he left Alexandria?

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 16 2003 :  4:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
NEVER too old for ghostie ghoulie stories, Highlander! And is this not the perfect time of year for them? One nice thing about this
part of Western PA is that so much of it is built around old Indian
trails and wagon roads, since this was considered the wild frontier
back in the early 1800s. Every once in awhile in my travels I'll
come upon an old log cabin from that period, and it still gives me a
thrill...and chills too, sometimes. I walked into a very old farmhouse
around here which was built on a site near what I guess was the original family graveyard. Normally I love old houses, but there was
*something* about this one that scared the bejesus out of me, and not for all the corn squeezin's in Bumppo's would I have spent the night
there.

In honor of historical ghosts everywhere, here's one of my favorite
lines of poetry from Stephen Vincent Benet's "Daniel Boone":

When Daniel Boone goes by at night
The phantom deer arise;
And all lost wild America
Is burning in their eyes.

Doc M, dusting off her broom in preparation for Oct. 31st!

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 17 2003 :  04:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Doc M

NEVER too old for ghostie ghoulie stories, Highlander! And is this not the perfect time of year for them? One nice thing about this
part of Western PA is that so much of it is built around old Indian
trails and wagon roads, since this was considered the wild frontier
back in the early 1800s. Every once in awhile in my travels I'll
come upon an old log cabin from that period, and it still gives me a
thrill...and chills too, sometimes. I walked into a very old farmhouse
around here which was built on a site near what I guess was the original family graveyard. Normally I love old houses, but there was
*something* about this one that scared the bejesus out of me, and not for all the corn squeezin's in Bumppo's would I have spent the night
there.

In honor of historical ghosts everywhere, here's one of my favorite
lines of poetry from Stephen Vincent Benet's "Daniel Boone":

When Daniel Boone goes by at night
The phantom deer arise;
And all lost wild America
Is burning in their eyes.

Doc M, dusting off her broom in preparation for Oct. 31st!

I hear ya Doc.Of course you know that everywhere that I go I take a little angel on my shoulder.I can't allow a satanic teamsterto keep me away from some of these places.Check out www.shadowlands.com for some other haunted places in Western Pa.

Highlander

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - October 17 2003 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear ghosthunters,

I was thinking about, on Halloween night, finding a trace of Braddock's Road, in an obscure location, and I will sleep in a rut in the road with a Ouija board under my pillow in my eighteenth century costume. I'll lull myself to sleep while playing The Grenadier's March on my CD player. Would anyone care to join me on this adventure of a lifetime????????

Jim

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 17 2003 :  2:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's sweet of you to think of including us, Grenouille,
but trying on bathing suits under fluorescent lighting is
about as scary as I care to get!

Doc M

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - October 19 2003 :  10:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Doc M

It's sweet of you to think of including us, Grenouille,
but trying on bathing suits under fluorescent lighting is
about as scary as I care to get!

Doc M

Sorry Doc, I didn't mean to frighten you, lol......but, seriouly I don't particularly believe in ghosts, but then again, I've never seen one. I do like to to hear a good ghost story, though. I don't know, some people are supposedly more atune to the supernatural. I would like to stay by myself in the French castle at Old Fort Niagara and sleep in the chapel, which is claimed to be the most haunted room there. If I can get a sound night's sleep and I'm not carried off by the headless Frenchman, I can pretty much say with certainity there are no such things as ghosts, at least not in my own reality. I've lived in a couple of houses over 100 years old, and the only noises at night that I heard in one was the %^$#@!*& squirrels running around in the attic at 4:00am.

One thing that would be spooky ,in reality, is that back in colonial times, in your cabin out in the wilderness miles from your next neighbor, hearing the sounds emanating from the wilderness about you. For example, Christian Post's account of his travel over to Fort Duquesne, and that during his travel through the Allegheny wilderness, it was hard to sleep at night beacause of the noise made by the wolves and owls, plus all the other animals, too. Now that is spooky!

Also, I can't think of anything more frightening than being chased by a pack of hungry wolves through the wilderness at night, and not having any weapons--that's scary!

Regards,
Jim

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 19 2003 :  11:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have a ghost picture from 2001.I visited Gettysburg and was taking pictures from my disposable camera atop the devil's den.I then left for Fort Ti a few days later for the whacking of Lord Howe.When developed,it appeared to be an ectoplasm(ghost hunter jargon)with an all dark background.All of my shots were in daylight however.To this day,I don't know if this shot was from Gettysburg or Fort Ti

I also shewed this snapshot to Sgt.Munro and he can attest to this.

Highlander

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 20 2003 :  12:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Also, I can't think of anything more frightening than being chased by a pack of hungry wolves through the wilderness at night, and not having any weapons--that's scary!

How about being chased by a war party of Cherokee?

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 20 2003 :  12:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have seen this particular photograph, and have no explanation other than there are more things under Heaven than those readily known by man. It was just like the howling and crashing trees we heard in the woods at Penn's Colony '02, we were two of over a dozen witnesses to that, and to this day we still don't know what it was.

-Or-

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 21 2003 :  05:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I have seen this particular photograph, and have no explanation other than there are more things under Heaven than those readily known by man. It was just like the howling and crashing trees we heard in the woods at Penn's Colony '02, we were two of over a dozen witnesses to that, and to this day we still don't know what it was.

I almost forgot about that.

Highlander

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 21 2003 :  06:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here is something I wrote a few years ago; don't remember if I ever shared it with you all before, but now seems like a good time to do so. If I did, please forgive the repeat. It was published in the Pennsylvania Minuteman, the Sons of the American Revolution news magazine.

Seamus
The Ghosts of Fort Freeland
By
Michael G. Slease
President, Tiadaghton Chapter SAR
Former Board member and President,
Warrior Run-Fort Freeland Heritage Society
Commander, Ft. Freeland Company of Independent Riflemen

The following is a true story. It impacted me when it happened, and I have been compelled to record it, so anyone who reads it might also be impressed by what happened...whether you are a believer or not.

It has been said that, when someone is killed instantly and violently, particularly on a field of battle, when energy and emotions are high, that energy is released and stays on that field. There are many accounts of spirits and ghosts or unexplainable things happening on old battlefields. Most certainly, energy can be felt in the air at places like this.

I can tell you of instances when I camped alone at Fort Freeland during the early days of Heritage Days that I felt the presence of something in the evenings after everyone else had gone home. I would look across the meadow where Captain Boone and his relief party were decimated, and see wisps of fog rising from the grass and wonder... Maybe it was just fog, but, then again, maybe not. There was certainly an eerie feeling generated there. It did not exist anywhere else on the grounds, only in the meadow.

The most convincing occurrence, for me, happened on July 28, 1996. First, some background...

The Pennsylvania frontier of 1779 was extremely vulnerable to attack by the British and their Indian allies. The 2-story home of Garrett Freeland stood along Warrior Run about 6 miles up the run from the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. It had been enclosed by a stockade in an attempt to provide a safe haven for the local settlers, and was known as Fort Freeland. Today the site is part of property owned by the Warrior Run School District near Turbotville, Pennsylvania, and is leased by the Warrior Run-Fort Freeland Heritage Society. Heritage Days is sponsored annually over the first full weekend of October by the Society and the High School History Club.

On July 20, 1779, an advance party of the enemy attacked a work party and killed three men in a cornfield back of the fort and captured two others.

At about 6:30 in the morning of July 28, 1779, a force of nearly 300 Iroquois warriors, Butler’s Rangers and British regulars from Fort Niagara attacked the fort. After a siege which lasted around three hours, during which time all available ammunition was expended, the defenders of Freeland’s Fort surrendered to prevent total annihilation. Five of the garrison was killed during the ensuing battle and siege.

A relief party of militia arrived too late, and in attempting to attack, was defeated with a great loss of life, including their leaders; a total of twelve. One of the soldiers who escaped was tomahawked and killed the next day at a nearby abandoned farm while trying to milk a cow for sustenance. He became the 21st to die.

Five days after the battle, the grotesque remains of the slain were buried where they fell, and over the ensuing years, the actual locations of their graves became lost; plowed and planted over and on occasion, flooded, for over two centuries. Nothing had ever been done to memorialize these brave souls, and, with the exception of a marker placed long ago by a now-defunct DAR Chapter, which has the wrong date of the battle, no reminder existed on this hallowed site. Nothing told their story.

At the initiative of several members of The Tiadaghton Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution and the Warrior Run - Fort Freeland Heritage Society a project to raise fund

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2003 :  08:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus, that account makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! I'm not sure what my reaction would have been, but I probably would have half killed myself getting to my car.

Glad you posted it! Great writing, btw.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2003 :  11:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Stiring account, Cousin Seamus. Have you had any other similar encounters there, and have you heard of anyone else experincing the same?

With Warmest Regards,
Your Cousin,

-Or-

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - October 22 2003 :  12:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Seamus,
Good story....there were definitely a lot of Rev War raids over in your part of the state. I'll have to read A.E's book "The Conquerors" again to refresh my memory about some of the raids.

Regards,
Jim

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - October 22 2003 :  12:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Make that Eckert's book "Wilderness War" which is about the Rev War period, where the other book is about Pontiac's Uprising.

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 22 2003 :  06:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Jim, don't put too much stock in Eckert's books. His research is flawed and twisted to fit whatever novel he is writing.

If you want a good book on Ft. Freeland, get "Fields of Honor" by Roger Swartz. It is available through the Warrior Run-Ft. Freeland Heritage Society, Turbotville, PA 17772, or the Northumberland County Historical Society, Sunbury, PA 17801. I will have to dig up complete addresses and post them later today.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2003 :  08:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Jumonville Questioned:
There is a Braddock Road there that runs from Alexandria, through Fairfax, Prince William and Loudon Counties. Would this be the route used by Braddock when he left Alexandria?

Probably the best source for tracing the Braddock Military Road, is to be found in "The Braddock Road Chronicles 1755", still available through Heritage Books. Two other works to consider, for any student of General Braddock's Campaign are as follows:

McCardell, Lee; "Ill-Starred General, Braddock of the Coldstream Guards"

Kopperman, Paul E.; "Braddock at the Monongahela"

Both of the above works were initially published by University of Pittsburgh Press, but now sadly out of print. You still can locate them at either Amazon.com or Barnes and Nobel in their respective 'Out of Print' or 'Rare Books' search engines.

-Or-

trailman
Pathfinder

May 02 2003

Posted - October 23 2003 :  7:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sarge
Those two titles are back in print. Braddock at the Monongahela will be out shortly if not now. Awhile back there was discussion sbout the books Frontier Forts of Pa. by I believe Montgomery. I heard there is someone with a 1916 edition for sale. The person has duplicates and may sell one for 90.00. Covers are loose but there. Book repair can fix that.

quote:

quote:
Jumonville Questioned:

Probably the best source for tracing the Braddock Military Road, is to be found in "The Braddock Road Chronicles 1755", still available through Heritage Books. Two other works to consider, for any student of General Braddock's Campaign are as follows:

McCardell, Lee; "Ill-Starred General, Braddock of the Coldstream Guards"

Kopperman, Paul E.; "Braddock at the Monongahela"

Both of the above works were initially published by University of Pittsburgh Press, but now sadly out of print. You still can locate them at either Amazon.com or Barnes and Nobel in their respective 'Out of Print' or 'Rare Books' search engines.

Previous Topic: Did Half-King use George Washington? Topic Next Topic: The French at Fort Necessity  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.73 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07