The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 2:23:37 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Bedroll?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: A Shooting Scenario - Rate of Fire Topic Next Topic: The Care & Feeding Of A Rifled Muzzleloader  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 28 2003 :  7:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Browsed & browsed & picked out [not purchased, mind you, just picked out] the following [for me] essentials:

• Fancy Fishing Kit - Primitive Artisans [Clabert]
  • Longhunter's Knife w/sheath - Jas. Townsend & Son
  • Bottel Flask & Musket Ball Pouch - Will Shaw & Son
  • "The Longhunter" Hat - Clearwater Hat Company
  • Slasinki Hammer 'Hawk - Ragnar's Throwing Axes

Of course, I want a wool blanket, a sewing kit, and a kettle ... eventually.

About the blanket ... so, I want to make a bedroll to carry, but I have - so far - found no references to the straps that would be used to hold it in place & carry it by. Also, exactly what might be carried within it after rolling. Typically, the most common - and needed - items.

Dumb questions, I know, but I'm pretty dumb [and new] when it comes to this stuff. Funny, you think you understand until you try and do it ...
report to moderator

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 28 2003 :  11:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To ways to carry your blanket are with a tumpline, and attached to the bottom of a knapsack.

To see how to use a tumpline:
http://www.colonialmarket.com/nita/howto.html

To see an example of a knapsack and a "New Invented Haversack" see:
http://www.wildeweavery.com/
and select Knapsack/Haversacks

The new invented haversack is a rev war thing.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 28 2003 :  11:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
# "The Longhunter" Hat - Clearwater Hat Company

One thing to watch about this had. It has a 3 1/2" high crown, which is very low. Make sure you can wear it. Some people can, and some can't. Clearwater makes great tricorns. I have two.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 29 2003 :  07:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Williams

To ways to carry your blanket are with a tumpline, and attached to the bottom of a knapsack.

AH! A tumpline! ... But, of course! Sure! ... I knew that! A tumpline, eh? No wonder I couldn't find anything ... I didn't have a clue what to look for!!! And, it looks like you need some sort of degree to tie the thing ...

This is gonna be fun!

Thanks, Fitz!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2003 :  11:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
As far as knives go, you might want to check out "Track of the Wolf" (I do not have the web address, but just enter the name in any search engine and it will come up). "Track" has some very nice (read authentic) looking, yet affordable cutlery. Now, my tastes are more for dirks and baskithilt broadswords/backswords, but that should figure, huh? They also carry some nice shooting accessories as well. You will spend hours and dollars perusing their wares, trust me, I think I have sent two of the owners kids through grad school already!

Your Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 02 2003 :  05:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S.-The one knife from TOTW you might want to consider is the "English Scalping Knife". It is about $35, but the fit and finish rivals the $200-$300 'one-man-shop' custom knives.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 03 2003 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
The one knife from TOTW you might want to consider is the "English Scalping Knife".

I agree. They are probably more authentic than many custom knives.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 31 2003 :  3:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich you can also tie the bedroll in the two places you would normally tie a sleeping bag. Instead of rolling up the ties inside the roll. The comment on getting the scalping knife is a good one.. those English Scalpers are very historically correct, much more so than the Riflemans's/Longhunter's knife you will find at Jas. Townsend's. For a wool blanket I suggest one of the Surplus British Navy 100% wool Hospital blankets. They are very correct and you can get twenty for the price of one of Ed Wilde's.

Image Insert:

47.02 KB

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 31 2003 :  3:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Hawk, welcome to the board. Hows'bout a location or link to those blankets. Good post!

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - July 31 2003 :  3:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I LOVE that quote from Benjamin Franklin Hawkeye_Joe!!!!!

LOVE IT!

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 31 2003 :  4:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hullo Bill you old hoss thief.. *L* .. I am an old prowler here .. maybe you remember me as Colonial Joe.
I usually find those blankets at Surplus Military sites such as Sportsman's Guide.
Here is some Czech wool blankets for 19.97 made for the Czech military by the French. They are off white with blue stripes. That sounds a great deal like the British Navy Hospital blankets I've been getting. I usually stick to the white, brown or grey blankets. The Italian ones are very good too, muted brown with greyish stripes. Remember to get 100% wool, they are not fleecy soft.. but you can run them in the wash and dry cycle a few times adn they will soften up. At the price they are perfect fro projects like wool leggins and moc liners. They are WARM..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=83086

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 01 2003 :  08:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Hawk. I've been looking for a source of reasonbly priced wool blankets for both bedroll and clothing projects.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2003 :  10:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
Did you check out 'Track of the Wolf'? What did you think of thier selection of edged goodies?

-Or-

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 06 2003 :  1:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I did!

To tell you the truth, I've looked at so many things at so many different sites & catalogs that my head is spinning & I kind of forget what I saw where!

Other than more powder & balls - and whatever else I find I need that is rifle-related - I'm more or less set [I think], for the time being ... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

EXCEPT, for that pesky loincloth belt!

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - August 06 2003 :  2:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Rich, how about I make you a loincloth belt from softly worked, finely stretched, brain-tanned and braided Snookums skin? Snookums of Doc Mary McSnookums fame of course....................

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 06 2003 :  6:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah, a TRUE collector's item!!! I like it!

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - August 19 2003 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Richfed,
Wilde Weavery is famous for her woven blankets and matchcoats. YOu might seriously consider a matchcoat. Her's are very costly, but some swear by them. And ... some don't feel they are warmer than any other. They certainly look good.

I know many people who simply use two leather straps, and attach it to a primitive style backpack (Mark Baker shows that somewhere, too, including how to balance the weight). I use a tumpline, handwoven by one of the best -- Ellis Delehoy. I can send you his details if you wish. I also have a backpack I might use instead, depending on how much I carry. And THAT is entirely dependant upon the weather and how much wool I need.

In the bedroll would be your spare shirts and socks and other clothes. Some people manage to put their corn boiler in their bedroll.

YM&OS,
The English Trader

quote:
Originally posted by Fitz Williams

To see how to use a tumpline:
http://www.colonialmarket.com/nita/howto.html

To see an example of a knapsack and a "New Invented Haversack" see:
http://www.wildeweavery.com/
and select Knapsack/Haversacks

The new invented haversack is a rev war thing.

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 20 2003 :  1:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have a knapsack, haversack, matchcoat, mitts, leg ties, moc liner, copper buttons from Wilde Weavery. I don't believe there are any better; I guess there might be some as good. Don't know.

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - August 20 2003 :  5:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I did!

To tell you the truth, I've looked at so many things at so many different sites & catalogs that my head is spinning & I kind of forget what I saw where!

Richfed, I remember wanting everything and making a lot of bad purchases my first year. Remember one very important thing -- just because it's in a catalogue, doesn't mean it is correct!

quote:
Other than more powder & balls - and whatever else I find I need that is rifle-related - I'm more or less set [I think], for the time being ... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

EXCEPT, for that pesky loincloth belt!

Pssssssssssst!! It's OK to wear breeches too! Long-hunters don't always want to admit to that. But sometimes they are even downright more practical than a breechclout!

Another thought, and this regarding your clothin: for shirts, stick to linen. Linen is more correct (cotton was available but linen FAR more prevalent and could be grown at home); linen is cooler in the summer (wicks away water rather than sticking to you like cotton); and warmer in winter. And of course, wool in the winter.

If you need any shirts, let me know, my, um, er, sister Sarah has become quite skilled at colonial shirts.

I remain, as always,
YMH&OS,
the English Trader

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 20 2003 :  7:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm ... that's something I had already considered, now that you mention it ... having a sort of alternate personality. Of course, much of my gear could be used either/or ... but a shirt, breeches, vest, and shoes are on my list ... for down the road ..

This will never end!
  Previous Topic: A Shooting Scenario - Rate of Fire Topic Next Topic: The Care & Feeding Of A Rifled Muzzleloader  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.47 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07