The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 4:27:50 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 Off the Beaten Path
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: INUIT and Greenland Travel Topic Next Topic: Bill Millers New One, Spirit Rain CD ...  

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - July 01 2002 :  4:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this fits here or not. Here goes anyway. On our way home Monday from the Gathering, Claude and I decided to drive through Cherokee. I'm glad we did. We didn't have the opportunity to stop as we were pressed for time (had to get to the vet before they closed). Someday I would like to go there and visit for a few days. I went as a younster a time or two. I see the Natives so differently now. I've learned and now know better. I've never seen "Unto These Hills" and would like to see that. Claude saw it as a youngster and he says it is really good. Oh! We also saw lots of folks on the Nantahala and the Ocoee. For a minute I wished I was there with them...for a minute. Anyway, Cherokee is definitely on our list of places to visit now.

Theresa
report to moderator

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 01 2002 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Theresa,

My husband & I have been to Cherokee a couple of times & one thing I can tell you now: unless you love wall-to-wall people & one great big traffic jam, do NOT visit during Fourth of July weekend! My oldest sister & her husband just love Cherokee & they drive up from Georgia to visit it often.

On our last visit through Cherokee a few years ago, I paid close attention to the Indians who lived & worked there. I saw the descendants of these once proud & strong people posing for pictures, others who danced - both for tips, mostly. I didn't actually speak to any of them to get their perspective, but it really tugged at my heartstrings. I thought of the Trail of Tears, and all of the broken promises that the whites made to the indigenous people of this country. Maybe it didn't bother them, being reduced to dancing for the tourists for tips, but it bothered me. I have Indian blood in my ancestry (Cherokee on my mother's side, from her father's branch of the family tree, and on my father's side, we trace back to Pocahontas). I have often wondered, what might this country be like today...if the Indians had won the war?

Food for thought...

Diane B.
a.k.a. Rattlesnake Woman

~ "The earth does not belong to us, we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 02 2002 :  07:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

quote:

On our last visit through Cherokee a few years ago, I paid close attention to the Indians who lived & worked there. I saw the descendants of these once proud & strong people posing for pictures, others who danced - both for tips, mostly. I didn't actually speak to any of them to get their perspective, but it really tugged at my heartstrings. I thought of the Trail of Tears, and all of the broken promises that the whites made to the indigenous people of this country. Maybe it didn't bother them, being reduced to dancing for the tourists for tips, but it bothered me.
to us, we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Hey Diane,

That's exactly what I meant by having learned and now know better. It is truly sad to see what the white man did.

I live only about 30 minutes from Horseshoe Bend. This is where Andrew Jackson took command of a volunteer force of 2,000 men in a campaign against the Creek Indians. The Creek had massacred several hundred settlers at Fort Mims in the Mississippi Territory (now Alabama). A serious shortage of supplies and food made military operations difficult for Jackson. He also had to put down two mutinies when some of his men threatened to desert. The decisive battle of the campaign was fought on March 27, 1814. It took place near the Creek village on Horseshoe Bend of the Tallapoosa River. Jackson allowed the Indian women and children to cross the river to safety before he attacked. Then his men nearly wiped out the entire Indian force of 800 braves. "The carnage was dreadful," Jackson wrote later. He dictated peace terms to the Creek, who gave up 23,000,000 acres of land in present-day Georgia and Alabama.

So, like you, I now pay attention to these beautiful and proud people. Bill Miller certainly made an impression on me when he spoke of the past 70 or so years how his people had fought in the courts to get their land back only to have it turned into a gambling arena. On our many treks during the Gathering when I see the pure and pristine land, I wonder what it must have been like when only the Natives were here.

Food for thought.

Theresa

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - July 02 2002 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Diana and Theresa.

My thoughts are much in agreement with yours. The finest places to visit in Cherokee (in my opinion) are the museum, the village, and the gift shop which features items made on the reservation. I hope to return to see the production, too - I've heard it's very good, too. What gets to me are the motel signs and pictures of natives in war bonnets - oh, and teepees. Could be wrong, but seems a bit out of the region to me! Karen and I have Cherokee ancestry, too (only a 16th - but proud of it). My sense of what it must have been like is most strong when camping in the back country in the Smokies, along those beautiful mountain streams, knowing the land was once roamed by native people so connected to the earth and their Creator. Sigh...wish I was there now...

Jayne

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - July 02 2002 :  09:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oops - Diane, Diana! I DO know the difference. Sorry, Diane.

Jayne

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 04 2002 :  2:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Jayne!

Don't worry about the Diane/Diana thing; as we were growing up, my three sisters & I got quite used to having our parents look at one of us & "call the roll" until they finally hit on the right name! And none of OUR names sounded at all alike - they didn't even begin with the same letter! Anyway, I knew who you meant!

Regards,

Rattlesnake Woman

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 04 2002 :  6:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Diane, my parents did the "roll call" thing too and I've done it myself with my own children. What's really bad, though, is when you include the dog in that "roll"

Theresa
  Previous Topic: INUIT and Greenland Travel Topic Next Topic: Bill Millers New One, Spirit Rain CD ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07