The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 7:22:50 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 "Paradise Road"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: AFIs 100 Heroes & Villains Topic Next Topic: Historical Reality TV  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 23 2003 :  12:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I was saying, over in the Book forum...

I just recently saw this movie on TV and it made a profound impact on me. The movie, made in 1997, stars Glenn Close, Pauline Collins, Juliana Marguiles, Cate Blanchett, Frances McDormand and Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice). It is a fact-based story that takes place during WW II, and is the story of Australian nurses, English, Dutch and American civilian women who were captured by the Japanese and placed into prison camps on Sumatra.

"Based on true incidents, director Bruce Beresford's "Paradise Road" is a powerful tale of female courage, friendship and strength. Centering on a little known chapter of World War II -- the capture and internment of tens of thousands of Europeans, Australians and Americans by the Japanese as they swept through the Far East.

When Beresford heard the remarkable story of how the women in one camp, buried deep in the jungles of Sumatra, used music to overcome the harsh realites of war, he knew it was a tale that had to be told. His passion for the story led him to painstakingly research, write and direct "Paradise Road." The film focuses on a disparate group of women, played by such luminary actors as five time Oscar nominee Glenn Close, Academy Award winner Frances McDormand, Julianna Margulies and Oscar nominee Pauline Collins.

When their ship is bombed as they flee Singapore after its occupation, the women are thrilled to be alive, thinking that the worst is over. What they soon realize is that much greater challenges lie ahead as they are captured as THE_STORY of war.

Although they are from different countries, different social strata and speak different languages, the women are forced to find common ground in order to survive in the camp. Directly disobeying their captors -- at the behest of Adrienne Pargiter (Glenn Close) and Margaret "Daisy" Drummond (Pauline Collins) -- they form a vocal orchestra, not to sing popular songs, but rather complex and sophisticated arrangements of classical pieces [without words].

Despite numerous difficulties, including a violent disruption of the first rehearsal, the initial performance of the choir is ecstatically received by the camp. The guards who are sent to break up the performance are equally moved and refuse to silence the women. Through the course of the film, these extraordinary women prove that a song of hope can become a symphony of triumph."

www.foxsearchlight.com/paradise/

This movie is breathtaking in its power and emotion. The cruelty and the inhumanity of mankind, the power of hope, and the healing, universal language of music are portrayed with such strength that I was nearly constantly in tears.

If you haven't seen this movie, and have the chance to... don't miss it!
report to moderator

Adele
The Huggy Merchant

May 17 2002

Posted - May 23 2003 :  1:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Adele a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

As I was saying, over in the Book forum...

I just recently saw this movie on TV and it made a profound impact on me. The movie, made in 1997, stars Glenn Close, Pauline Collins, Juliana Marguiles, Cate Blanchett, Frances McDormand and Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice). It is a fact-based story that takes place during WW II, and is the story of Australian nurses, English, Dutch and American civilian women who were captured by the Japanese and placed into prison camps on Sumatra.

"Based on true incidents, director Bruce Beresford's "Paradise Road" is a powerful tale of female courage, friendship and strength. Centering on a little known chapter of World War II -- the capture and internment of tens of thousands of Europeans, Australians and Americans by the Japanese as they swept through the Far East.

When Beresford heard the remarkable story of how the women in one camp, buried deep in the jungles of Sumatra, used music to overcome the harsh realites of war, he knew it was a tale that had to be told. His passion for the story led him to painstakingly research, write and direct "Paradise Road." The film focuses on a disparate group of women, played by such luminary actors as five time Oscar nominee Glenn Close, Academy Award winner Frances McDormand, Julianna Margulies and Oscar nominee Pauline Collins.

When their ship is bombed as they flee Singapore after its occupation, the women are thrilled to be alive, thinking that the worst is over. What they soon realize is that much greater challenges lie ahead as they are captured as THE_STORY of war.

Although they are from different countries, different social strata and speak different languages, the women are forced to find common ground in order to survive in the camp. Directly disobeying their captors -- at the behest of Adrienne Pargiter (Glenn Close) and Margaret "Daisy" Drummond (Pauline Collins) -- they form a vocal orchestra, not to sing popular songs, but rather complex and sophisticated arrangements of classical pieces [without words].

Despite numerous difficulties, including a violent disruption of the first rehearsal, the initial performance of the choir is ecstatically received by the camp. The guards who are sent to break up the performance are equally moved and refuse to silence the women. Through the course of the film, these extraordinary women prove that a song of hope can become a symphony of triumph."

www.foxsearchlight.com/paradise/

This movie is breathtaking in its power and emotion. The cruelty and the inhumanity of mankind, the power of hope, and the healing, universal language of music are portrayed with such strength that I was nearly constantly in tears.

If you haven't seen this movie, and have the chance to... don't miss it!

I saw this movie and thought it very good...it was quite nice to see a female dominated movie, especially with such a good cast. We had a series over here called 'Tenko' which I am not sure ever made it to America, but it ran for quite a few seasons, and covered the lives of many British and Dutch internees from their pre-war lives, through internment in Japanese POW camps, until the end of the war, including what happened immediately after the war, and their 'reunion' five years later. It was a very well made series, again with a very good cast. I can recommend it, if it ever pops up on television.

HM
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 23 2003 :  1:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Tenko"!!!!! That was the name of it!! I have been racking my brain trying to think of it!

It was on TV here, on the Public Broadcasting System, in about 1988 or 89. At that time, I had just gotten a little 12" black and white TV after not having one at all since 1978! (It was a "hippie" thing!) But by the time I discovered the series, it was mostly finished and was not repeated. What I saw, I really enjoyed, and it was the first inkling I had that this had even gone on.

Thanks, Huggy!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 23 2003 :  4:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If anyone is interested in learning more about the real "Brave Women" of WW II, you can go here:

www.angellpro.com.au/women.htm

These are stories that must be told about women who must not be forgotten.
  Previous Topic: AFIs 100 Heroes & Villains Topic Next Topic: Historical Reality TV  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.23 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07