The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 12:06:51 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 Our FIRST Essay! - Valley Forge!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Mohicans Murals & Other Tidbits ... Topic Next Topic: New Smiles & Rule & Stuff!  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 16 2003 :  09:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address
Well, someone finally took me up on my suggestion to post essays here in the Weekly Update to spare me from fumblin' around trying to think of something to say! And, it's a good one! Good thing, too, 'cause I've been busy setting up a forum for old, OLD, friends from the old neighborhood - a lot of "olds" in there - - My, how the time as flown! <---- CLICHE!

Anyway, without further ado, here it is [on a subject dear to my heart, too!] ...

Winter

This winter, the winter of 2002/2003, has been a cold and snowy one for many of us, and we’ve had a lot of fun discussing it on Securemann’s thread “Deep Freeze.” We’ve teased each other, complained to each other, rejoiced in the cold, hoped for more snow, and wished to be in a warmer place. But as I have been reading and enjoying everyone’s posts about this winter, my thoughts have repeatedly gone to another winter: one that was happening 225 years ago... right now.

On December 19, 1777, an army of about 11,000 American Continental soldiers straggled into an area of southeastern Pennsylvania that was known as the Valley Forge. This was to be their winter encampment until spring when the weather would permit the continuation of war. This was an army that was beaten down by one agonizing defeat after the other, with men who were exhausted, hungry, freezing cold, and half-naked. More than two-thousand were literally bare-foot. The ground was frozen and snow-covered. There was no shelter other than thin canvas tents and many men didn’t even have a blanket. There was almost nothing to eat and starvation was an imminent possibility. This was the situation that General Washington faced on the morning of December 20th. How do you feed, shelter and clothe 11,000 men when there is no food, shelter or clothing to be had?

He immediately ordered that those who had shoes and adequate clothing begin building small log huts, each hut to be 14 feet by 16 feet with a fireplace at one end. Each tiny hut would house 12 men. Timber was plentiful nearby, but there were almost no oxen so men harnessed themselves to the logs to pull them to camp. Washington offered a $100. reward (of his own money) for the best roof design that did not use sawed boards. The huts, although providing shelter and some warmth, were crowded, dark, filthy, unsanitary, and ridden with pests and disease.

General Washington wrote letters to the Continental Congress repeatedly, telling them of the dire situation their army was in with regard to food and clothing. But they were to no avail. Official channels were worthless, for several reasons. Foraging parties combed the surrounding countryside for food for both men and horses. On January 7th, some Patriot Philadelphia women managed to drive in 10 teams of oxen that could be slaughtered for food. Flour and other grains arrived sporadically, and bake ovens were kept going when it was available. When meager shipments of meat and other foodstuffs did arrive, it was rationed carefully in an attempt to make it last as long as possible; but there were several instances when 4 or 5 days went by with no meat at all available for the men.

Shoes and clothing were in extremely short supply. Months of marching and fighting had worn out shoes; the rain, cold and dampness had rotted clothing. The hides of the cattle slaughtered for food were bartered with locals for shoes. Supplies of cloth goods occasionally filtered their way into the camp, and in early January the British brig, “Symmetry” was captured and her cargo of blue, buff and scarlet cloth was immediately requisitioned for the use of the American army. Tailors from each regiment were excused from other duties to sew clothing. Despite the gradual improvements, conditions remained poor for much of the army. Sentries wer

Rich
Mohican Press
report to moderator

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 16 2003 :  8:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent essay, Joyce.

Makes me feel a bit guilty for whining about this cold that's worked its way into every joint in my body.

At least I don't have to stand on my hat!

~~Aim small, miss small.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 16 2003 :  11:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

Excellent essay, Joyce.

Makes me feel a bit guilty for whining about this cold that's worked its way into every joint in my body.

At least I don't have to stand on my hat!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Scott. I really appreciate your compliment.

WW... aka Joyce (but only in the 21st century).

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 17 2003 :  3:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've never been to Valley Forge.

I've been meaning to get down there. George Neumann, a gentleman who wrote a couple of major works on early American arms and accoutrements, donated his collection to the museum there, and I'd very much like to see it. Somehow this time of year seems to be the most appropriate time, but I haven't quite got the nerve to confront the place in it's frigidness.

I have the utmost admiration for those folks who stuck it out for the winter, and tremendous empathy for those who took a powder.

I'd probably have perished in a week or two under those conditions. I'd like to think I'd have had enough sense to hightail it for hearth and home.

See ya next spring, George!

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 17 2003 :  4:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't feel bad, Scott. I have lived on the east coast since 1978 and in Binghamton since 1987, but only just got down there this past summer. My catalyst was the discovery that I had two lads who were there.

Have you heard about the "great and capital changes" that are taking place there? They are beginning the construction of the brand new National Center For The American Revolution, which will be (I believe) part of the current Visitor's Center. The National Park Service and the Valley Forge Historical Society will combine their extensive collections ( of which Mr. Neumann's is a part) into one wonderful, huge museum of artifacts. Wow! I believe they are expecting it to be finished in 2005. As for me... I can hardly wait.

Go to this website to check it out: www.valleyforgemuseum.org/

I was there the end of June, last summer, and the current Visitor's Center was still in tact, with all displays in place. When I went back in Sept. (to go to the Brandywine 225th), 95 percent of the displays had been packed up and removed, in preparation for construction. About all that was still there was Washington's marquee, in its glass room... and they weren't letting people go up close to it. So if you are expecting to see displays and artifacts, you may want to check with them first.

Of course, you can still drive all around within the park. It is a beautiful place!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 17 2003 :  5:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just did a little more reading on the website, and discovered that the Visitor's Center reopened shortly after I was there, as the Welcome Center, with lots of great exhibits. Good! An excuse to go back.

I hear that the early spring, when the Dogwood trees are in bloom, is the time to go...

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 19 2003 :  7:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads-up, Joyce.

I'll be sure to scout ahead before I go.

I'm afraid it looks like they may have selected a few items to do the storytelling thing.

I hope they haven't got the bulk of the collection in cold storage for the duration, though I fear they may.

Storytelling's fine, but I like to let the actual artifacts tell me the story.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2003 :  9:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

I'm afraid it looks like they may have selected a few items to do the storytelling thing.

I think perhaps that is just for the website. I may be wrong, but my impression is that when this whole project is completed, there will be much more space than what they have now for larger, more comprehensive displays! If so, it should be pretty magnificent. I hope this is correct, and not merely wishful thinking on my part.

Lainey
TGAT

USA

May 18 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 20 2003 :  12:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
By the way, WW, great job!
{Meant to tell you that last week! I'm getting so tardy ...}

"Fides et Ratio"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 20 2003 :  08:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lainey

By the way, WW, great job!
{Meant to tell you that last week! I'm getting so tardy ...}

Thank you. Compliment appreciated!
  Previous Topic: The Mohicans Murals & Other Tidbits ... Topic Next Topic: New Smiles & Rule & Stuff!  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07