The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 1:29:47 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 "All-new Director's Definitive Cut" coming this year!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: What happened to John Cameron? Topic Next Topic: Twenty Years Ago,  August, 1991 - The French Camp
Page: of 3

Flammable
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 18 2009

Posted - April 25 2010 :  6:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people.

"THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS
All-new Directors Definitive Cut and interviews with Daniel Day Lewis"

It looks like our dream is coming true! It seems Mann is re-editing the film once more!

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/102715-fox-reveals-first-details-upcoming-blu-ray-releases.html

http://andyfilm.netfirms.com/phpbb/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?p=29499&sid=fc23ef9e386edc1bd9f0d300425a4665

Any thoughts?
report to moderator

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 25 2010 :  6:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
More details are required but this is a great start. Thank you for the post.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 30 2010 :  1:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wouldn't it be great if there was an extra hour or so of never before seen footage

IG

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 30 2010 :  1:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Let me guess, - 59 more minutes of "under the falls". ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Absolutely more Uncas is always good right??

IG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 02 2010 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am curious as to what may be contained in this "final" cut, but am not expecting anything major. I'll be happy with either a theatrical/director's cut mix or two separate cuts. If the movie is anything radically enhanced/different from what we already have seen, I will be shocked.

joe
Lost in the Wilderness

Hawkeye 3

November 13 2009

Posted - May 03 2010 :  10:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can't wait to see what they can do to this ... It is fantastic as it is.... I haven't seen that other director's cut.. but I heard it was not that good and some significant scenes were removed... I hope this one is better... more Nathaniel and Cora would do nicely... ...

Wouldn't it be great if there was 59 mins of never before seen footage...

Do you think that is possible???

Has anyone mentioned a time line for this enterprise??

Stay Alive!

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - May 06 2010 :  05:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to see everything that was cut out from the theatrical version for the director's cut edited back in (except the Clannad song which is out of place, doesn't fit in). All the little scenes and dialog and I would like Mann to keep everything he added for the director's cut! Especially I would like Mann to re-add the other half of the scream of Duncan when he is being burnt alive. That was one of THE defining moments of the movie, a very sad scene but in a sense beautiful; the man gave up his life for someone else, the ultimate thing you can do and that scene should be as strong as it is in the theatrical version. That scene made a huge impact on me the first time I saw this movie and was really disappointed when Mann had edited the scene for the director's cut. Vey disappointing.

Then I would like Mann to add the cut part where Uncas gets hurt in the first half of the movie. It must have been filmed since there is no way they would leave it unexplained in the script.

I really wish Mann expands the politics of the time a bit more and that he expands the character of Magua! Magua is such a sad and tragic character and he deserves to be better understood.

I wonder if Mann or anyone close to him ever comes to read these forums to see what the fans are saying? It's not impossible since this is THE fan forum and easy to find :)

I wonder where this many times discussed information comes from: "The film was originally scheduled for a Summer 1992 release, as the teaser posters said, but when Michael Mann's first version clocked in at three hours, he was told by Fox to cut the film down and the release was postponed to September." Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/trivia?tr0705637 Somebody had to type it in there and where did this information originally come from? There must be some truth to it I can't believe they would type it in out of nowhere.

And see this other bit: "According to Randy Edelman's 1996 Film Score Monthly interview, he came on board because of creative differences between Trevor Jones and Michael Mann which forced Jones off the project. "The movie was over budget, there was a mess with the studio, etc. The only reason Morgan Creek got the rights to not just the music and the album but all the overseas rights is because the whole situation was out of control. Even though Daniel Day-Lewis was so great, he wasn't a box-office star, [and the feeling was that] you had this big, three-and-a-half hours long period epic without anybody in it, and this was what I was thrown into." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/trivia?tr1063308 That is another thing that leads me once again thinking if there really was a three hour cut. I just can't understand how Mann as the director would compromise his vision so drastically. However, there must have been something because the basic theatrical version is pretty much just running for 1 hour and 45 minutes and of course the logical thing to assume would be that the "less important" quiet parts of the movie were cut out.

Edit: I found this very interesting information from the net:

"Someone over on another forum posted an interesting analysis as to why Mann keeps doing so many Mohicans re-cuts:

The North American DVD adds tedious marching/battle scenes and cuts some memorable dialogue. If you take a look at the writing credits at the beginning of the film, you'll see that his and C. Crowe's names are as far apart as they can be. Apparently, Mann wanted only his name listed, but the WGA said "no."

So, with each cut, he's seemingly taking out more of Crowe's dialogue, and putting in unnecessary filler."

I hope this is NOT the case.

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - May 06 2010 :  05:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by joe

I can't wait to see what they can do to this ... It is fantastic as it is.... I haven't seen that other director's cut.. but I heard it was not that good and some significant scenes were removed... I hope this one is better... more Nathaniel and Cora would do nicely... ...

Has anyone mentioned a time line for this enterprise??

Hi.

I seriously doubt there is an hour worth of material that could be logically added but there is material that is for sure.

The release is due december this year in Europe but of course that might change.

You should see the director's cut. In my opinion it is an improvement in many ways but Mann made some cuts that I cannot understand. Somebody told me that the reason for some of the edits must have been that the negative might be damaged. After seeing the director's cut I can't understand why so much cool stuff was left out of the movie in the first place like the Duncan diversion which is a very cool and well done scene!

The important thing to notice is that Mann doesn't seem to have any major projects going on at the time so this means he has time to do this edit properly (I hope) !

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 09 2010 :  08:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do believe that the scene showing Uncas getting wounded before arriving at Fort William Henry WAS filmed. I agree, that would be a nice addition.

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - May 09 2010 :  1:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Flammable

quote:
Originally posted by joe

Hi.

I seriously doubt there is an hour worth of material that could be logically added but there is material that is for sure.

You should see the director's cut. In my opinion it is an improvement in many ways but Mann made some cuts that I cannot understand... After seeing the director's cut I can't understand why so much cool stuff was left out of the movie in the first place like the Duncan diversion which is a very cool and well done scene!

The important thing to notice is that Mann doesn't seem to have any major projects going on at the time so this means he has time to do this edit properly (I hope) !

From the standpoint of one who worked for 3 months on the military scenes of the fort and massacre, I think that I can say with the inclusion of the "Duncan's Diversion" scenes all these have already been covered. What you must keep in mind whenever reading about ALL the "additional unseen footage" in any production is that most of it consists merely of different camera angles of things we already have!

Case in point: In the Dinner scene inside Montcalm's tent, I was barely visible as a blur in the dark background in the theatrical version; but when it came to VHS, I had DISAPPEARED entirely! Different "cuts" or camera angles had been substituted, probably to have better close-ups of Magua and Montcalm for regular TV. But in the Director's Cut DVD, I've magically reappeared! Obviously, you can't "have it both ways" - there's only so much dialog to accompany; so which is "better"? The wider angle is more suitable for the current crop of large flat-screen TV's; so it has again taken "pride of place".

Another fact I've mentioned here before: I worked on the IMAX Alamo - The Price of Freedom, which was designed for a 45-minute run time, so it could be shown every-hour-on-the-hour at its San Antonio IMAX Rivercenter venue. That meant a LOT of footage involving various "subplots" in the script got DUMPED in the final cut because of time overruns. Luckily, while working later on Glory I was able to copy a "pirate" hour-and-fifteen minute version, and "see" those left-out parts I'd missed; they were HORRIBLE!

I well remember on Glory how disappointed the director, Ed Zwick, was when a large ( and costly! ) battle scene we'd filmed turned out to be useless because the lens on the Panasonic camera had magnified and distorted the image so greatly that it was painfully obvious that the battle line in the background was unrealistically awaiting their "cue" to go into action. We reenactors had never been told about that foreshortening of depth in cinematography, and I unkindly told him that what was wrong was that we had done what we were told to! In a case like that what do you do with THAT "unseen footage?

There are very often perfectly good reasons that what you think of as your best efforts get proverbally "left on the cutting room floor". Much redundant action, atrocious acting, boring dialog, etc., etc. falls to the axe - FORTUNATELY! Much as I would personally like to see more of myself onscreen, it doesn't always follow that longer is better!

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - May 09 2010 :  3:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am devoted to the original theatrical release. That is the movie I fell in love with. I did not and have not seen the director's cut/DVD because I read here of how many of my favorite parts--and that includes the Clannad song--were cut out. This film has a rare spirit and heart to it. To intentionally cut that out is very wrong to me. I would definitely like to see more of the romance--more of Uncas and Alice. More Hawkeye and Cora. More of the American spirit--this is a great historical film.

This is the 21st century. I fail to see why we cannot purchase the version of the film that we want in an updated media format. You can buy CD's of Broadway musicals with the original cast, other casts, movie versions. Why is this such a difficult thing to do? It is all really very simple.

shadawick
Colonial Settler

USA

August 19 2009

Posted - May 09 2010 :  7:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by morgaine

I am devoted to the original theatrical release. That is the movie I fell in love with. I did not and have not seen the director's cut/DVD because I read here of how many of my favorite parts--and that includes the Clannad song--were cut out. This film has a rare spirit and heart to it. To intentionally cut that out is very wrong to me. I would definitely like to see more of the romance--more of Uncas and Alice. More Hawkeye and Cora. More of the American spirit--this is a great historical film.

This is the 21st century. I fail to see why we cannot purchase the version of the film that we want in an updated media format. You can buy CD's of Broadway musicals with the original cast, other casts, movie versions. Why is this such a difficult thing to do? It is all really very simple.

That really would be a great idea! I have seen a few other movie DVD's that had "alternative endings or plots." I think there would really be a demand from those folks like us that develop pop culture followings of characters and movies. It should be a really strong post initial release offering. Why don't you try to push that idea.

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - May 10 2010 :  07:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi people. I'm pretty sure Warner(I think) is releasing the theatrical version in Europe on blu-ray just as they released it on dvd. Because I have both versions on dvd for me the best possible thing to come out from a blu-ray release is a new edit but I am pretty sure they will rlease the new and the theatrical versions both unless Mann is against it. I just hope Mann does the new edit properly this time and I hope the reason for him to edit this once again is not as someone on the net hinted a battle of the egos between the two writers of the dialogue. That would be so wrong against the fans of this movie.

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm with Morgaine: the theatrical version was the movie I fell in love with. I did see the director's cut, and was disappointed at the omissions. It felt incomplete. I just want THE ORIGINAL MOVIE on DVD, no more and no less. It was perfect, why tamper with perfection? And for the love of God, no more of Alice and Uncas!!!!

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BookwormMG

And for the love of God, no more of Alice and Uncas!!!!

I am with you, BW, on all counts... but especially on this one.

What I would like to see is the theatrical version, with nothing cut out (I love the Clannad song, and think it fits beautifully!) but with the additional scenes (Duncan's diversion and Ching's ending speech) from the director's cut added in.

But, it has to be released on DVD! I do not have Blu-Ray, and probably won't until I absolutely am forced into it.

Btw, Morgaine! It's nice to see you posting again. It's been a very long time.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Bruce
Lost in the Wilderness

Libra

April 15 2003

Posted - May 25 2010 :  11:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Been scouring the internet looking for an update with a estimate of when it will finally be released, nothing yet, just "by the end of the year". We're almost to June, that's about 1/2 way there, please, somebody, more details!

I made the Blu-Ray jump last year when they dropped the price of the PS3 by a $100. This has (obviously) been my #1 disc in waiting. Blu-Ray will show it beautifully. I can't wait for its release. Day 1 buy.

Once, we were here........

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - May 26 2010 :  06:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce

Been scouring the internet looking for an update with a estimate of when it will finally be released, nothing yet, just "by the end of the year". We're almost to June, that's about 1/2 way there, please, somebody, more details!

I made the Blu-Ray jump last year when they dropped the price of the PS3 by a $100. This has (obviously) been my #1 disc in waiting. Blu-Ray will show it beautifully. I can't wait for its release. Day 1 buy.

Unfortunately there are no more details. I've been trying too to find more info but have come up with none. But I do remember that the release date was december in Europe at some point. That is propably most realistic.

Hey, an idea: could someone from a english speaking country suggest to different media/entertainment outlets (magazines, internet publications etc.) that Michael Mann is doing a new cut of this movie and they should do a story about it? Maybe we could see an interview from Mann/someone at Fox about this. Remember to use a link source showing that the new cut is really coming!

Mann is propably working on the new cut right this moment! I just hope this news IS true and not a mislabel or something. That would suck to get our hopes up for nothing.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 27 2010 :  06:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I sure hope this is true! All I have to say is. . .finally! Why did it take so long when blu-ray has been around now for well over 5 years and close to a decade! I'm buying it right away when it comes out!

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - June 01 2010 :  07:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I am curious as to what may be contained in this "final" cut, but am not expecting anything major. I'll be happy with either a theatrical/director's cut mix or two separate cuts. If the movie is anything radically enhanced/different from what we already have seen, I will be shocked.

I have to agree. I think the blu-ray release will be something along the lines of what we have already seen or a combination of the theatrical and extended versions. What I would like to see is the original, theatrical version released on DVDthe one that I saw in the theater many moons ago and still love to this dayAND the very first versionthe three-and-a-half-hours long version. I would love to see Manns original vision. If the new release will be the definitive cut, well, then lets make it so and make it the original vision--just release the theatrical version on DVD, too! Unless, of course, with all of these new technologies allowing for this or that, Mann can edit and edit, and we will keep buying and buying!!! Hmmm....

Happy to say hello to everyone!

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 17 2010 :  09:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not many particulars regarding the specific release, but Last of the Mohicans is now available for PRE-ORDER at Amazon.com ... [note that this is marked Director's Definitive Cut] Last of the Mohicans - Blu-ray

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - July 19 2010 :  02:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ok. I am simple. Just combine the first cut with the directors cut, include all scenes and I will be happy. Of course any extras would be awesome.

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - July 19 2010 :  07:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Atleast now we can be sure this is true! And the cover looks cool :)

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - July 30 2010 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Release date is October 5, 2010.
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Mohicans-Blu-ray/dp/B000Y5CHIE

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 30 2010 :  09:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So it says "Director's Definitive Cut [Blu-ray]". Is this the same thing I already have on DVD ?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 30 2010 :  4:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will be curious to find out from those of you who are ordering it just exactly what is on it.

My problem is that I don't have Blu-ray. So, this won't be released on regular DVD?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: What happened to John Cameron? Topic Next Topic: Twenty Years Ago,  August, 1991 - The French Camp  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.7 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07