The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/5/2024 2:48:32 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 Skinwalkers on PBS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Halito !! Topic Next Topic: Indian warriors remains to be buried  

Bea
Keeper of the Western Door

The Kiss 2
Canada

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 18 2002

Posted - November 25 2002 :  11:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some of you may be familiar with the title if you are an avid Tony Hillerman reader. Last night PBS showed the movie starring Wes Studi and Adam Beach. Wes' performance was excellent. I must admit though that I had imagined the movie to be cast different but then again you only have so many actors available and one has to move away from the book a bit as well..After the movie ended we also got treated to the making of SKINWALKERS which I found very interesting. I enjoyed the movie but Mr, Hillerman's books delve much deeper into the lives of the Dinetah ( Navaho). According to a friend of mine who is Dine, he is one of the few people who truly understands their ways..
Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else caught the movie on TV last night and I would be interested in your POVS..

Carpe Diem
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  07:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Bea,

I was quite enlightened by the "making of" afterwards. The characters were explained more in depth than what was on the surface in the movie. The two main characters' roles were quite reverse in what one might have expected in that Leaphorn had more or less dismissed the "old ways" and the younger was more in tune to them. In the end, when Leaphorn's wife was taken into the healing house (not sure if that's what you actually call it) and you see Leaphorn looking off into the distance to the land and then you see this look come upon his face and I believe he is thinking, "Perhaps this is where I need to be...back to my people's beliefs." I don't know...just a thought.

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  3:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought this was a fair adaptation -- I was disappointed in
that it was only 90 minutes. I thought it was going to be a multi-
part series. Since it was so short, it really skimmed over all
the details that make Hillerman's books so fascinating. Wes
was great, as always, and I liked the actor that played Jim Chee.
In the books, there's a lot more antagonism between the
characters of Leaphorn and Chee -- they drive each other
nuts, and it adds much more humor and depth to the characters.
For anyone who hasn't read the series -- waddle, stagger, or
galoomph to your local library!

Doc M

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 26 2002 :  3:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A-galoomphing I will go, Doc!!!! I was really looking forward to this show and I too would have liked for it to have been longer, more in depth. Some areas seemed to me to minimally covered, just enough to get the idea to the viewers. The thing I liked most about this movie was how intelligent the characters were (Leaphorn, Chee, Leaphorn's wife, the Medicine Men). So many programs portray Native Americans in a way that makes them "different" from the rest of us, like our cultures will never be quite able to meld seamlessly. These characters were so "everyday Joe" - I found that refreshing. I've never read anything by Tony Hillerman, but will remedy that ASAP.

It was good to see Michael Greyeyes again (remember all the folks that wanted a copy of the last movie he was in?) and I have yet to see a movie with Adam Beach in it that I haven't enjoyed!!! He can do precious one minute (you KNOW us Southern girls gotta use that precious word!) and bull-faced boilin' angry the next! And who could EVER turn down an opportunity to enjoy Wes!! Gotta get this DVD - with the extras. Sounds like one for the bookstore Rich!

GG

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  4:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Read them in order if you can, Gadgie-poo. The character
development between Leaphorn and Chee and Chee and Janet Peet
is great. A long, cold Thanksgiving weekend would be the
perfect time to start the series!

Doc M

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - November 26 2002 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback, gals!! Yes, 90 min was too short and that's why the characters weren't as developed as they should have been.
Also as much as I enjoyed Wes as Joe Leaphorn I had imagined an older actor to portay him. I guess I was influenced by some of the illustrations in the book.

Diana, you MUST read all of Hillerman's books! They are awesome. I stumbled upon Tony Hillerman at my local Safeway: the book was very cheap and since I had just gotten back from a trip to Arizona that included a stay onthe Navaho reserve it brought back nice memories. Yep, it took me right back..And yes, read them in chronological order.

BTW they are three more authors that I enjoy as much as Tony Hillerman who have a pretty good insight into modern Native life. Have you gals ever heard of Aime and David Thurlo, Dana Stabenow and Margaret Coel?
The Thurlos have a whole series out on a Navaho cop, Ella Clah. Dana Stabenow is from Anchorage, Alaska ( hi Chris!!) and writes about an Aleut PI, Kate Chugak. The latter one, Ms Coel writes about a Father turned amateur sleuth and his Arapaho lawyer counter part..Ah, nothing like a good mystery..
If you girls have anymore suggestions, please let me know!!

BTW have you ever see the DARK WIND? Another Hillerman book turned into a movie..

Carpe Diem

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 27 2002 :  9:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello everyone.
I've been prowling around the boards for awhile, and finally decided to register, jump in, and get my feet wet.

I watched Skinwalkers the other night, and thought it was quite good. I found Wes Studi, as Magua in LOTM, to be one of the most effective characters I have ever seen onscreen. He was terrifying. (I definitely feel he should have received an Academy Award for his role.) It was, therefore, an interesting change to see him in the role of Joe Leaphorn. I actually saw him smile! A quick one...if you blinked, you missed it.

I also enjoyed seeing Adam Beach, and thought he did well with his role. Is it just me, or could he be Eric Schweig's younger brother? To me they look quite a lot alike.

Ciao.

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 27 2002 :  10:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome Wilderness Woman. Glad to have you here. As I said in a post above, it did seem strange to see a 21st century Wes. He did a superb job in the Leaphorn role. Now, as for the Oscar of which he was MOST deserving, he received one from his Mohican friends at the Gathering 2001. You can find photos of the special presentation here at the "Gatherings" link. Take a gander!

Theresa

Bea

The Kiss 2
Canada

May 18 2002

Posted - November 28 2002 :  11:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Bea's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Adam Beach is Canadian just like Eric but he hails from Manitoba and belongs to the Ojibway Nation whereas Eric is part Inuvialuit.They are not related but they have been in one movie together: Squanto.

Theresa, i only noticed today that you had started a thread within the calendar about Skinwalkers. i guess I should have checked that first! Good thing I was lucky enough to stumble upon the movie by accident..:)

Carpe Diem
  Previous Topic: Halito !! Topic Next Topic: Indian warriors remains to be buried  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07